Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: trunk lid adjustment

Need help from someone smarter than me,
    I bought some rebuilt trunk hinges from Cliff Heath in Washington. They look great and are good and tight. My problem is: they will not move forward enough. I need co close the gap about one-fourth or three-eighths inch. I have the Studebaker repair manual but it does not give much information. Before I take the hinges off and make the slots longer I want to check and see if someone could tell me what I might be doing wrong. Sometimes you just have to admit your ignorance.
    Thanx, Yogi
    '60 Hawk

I've found sometimes it's easier if you have someone who can be in the trunk with a light and just loosen every bolt and when you get it where you want it just yell at them to tighten it up.

Comment

In order to adjust the trunk lid in any more after it is all the way forward in the slots you will have to put shims under the forward stud only. Loosen the two nuts as much as possible as well as the one on the wheel tub. You can use body or front end shims. This will have to be done on both sides. The lid will move forward as well as down some. Shims can be found at Ace or True value hardware stores. Hope this helps.
      Frank van Doorn
      Omaha, Ne.
      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

The trunk lid can only be moved sideways, unless the car has been hit in the rear the lid should fit nearly perfect, the only adjustment available is as mentioned in post #3 is by shimming the front bolt/nut and loosening the lower center bolt to allow the hinge to tilt up or down as needed. If the trunk lid is binding when closing would indicate a misalignment some where and may require a shim under the front bolt, this will force the trunk lid down lower, however there is very limited adjustment. If the trunk area has been hit and the trunk is misaligned it will be difficult to get it right.

Comment

My trunk lid lined up pretty good with the old hinges. I just had to push forward as I closed the lid because of the worn hinges.
          Yogi
          '60 Hawk

Comment

Hey Y'all,
            Thanks for the advice. I finally figured it out. I loosened all the bolts on both sides and then let the deck lid down. As the springs broke over to hold the lid down it moved up to almost a perfect fit. When I raise the lid it pops back out and no amount of pushing or prying can get it to move. Now all I have to do is entice one of my grand kids or maybe a great grand to come visit me this weekend and put them inside of the trunk as was suggested.
            Thanks again, Yogi
            '60 Hawk

Comment

This could turn out to be a TRUST issue. If your grandchild insists that YOU get in the trunk, you will know where you stand.
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I've had the same trouble with mine. When I bought it, the trunk was about an inch back. I ended up slotting some holes, but its still not right. I will take some of this advice, remove my trunk latch, and climb in my trunk to get a better look.
                thanks,
                Rafe Hollister

Comment

If you want to see true love lock your wife and your dog both in your trunk for an hour and see which one is still happy to see you when you let them both out.

Comment

Working...
                  X