Stude 6 cyl malady from my bud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Stude 6 cyl malady from my bud

I don't remember if I told you this story but a few years ago a friend of mine sent the 6 cyl. engine from his dads 1950 Studebaker convertible to a supposedly Studebaker engine rebuild master in Delaware. It cost him a fortune for the rebuild. They did everything. Bored, cut and polished crank, new pistons, block boil and magnaflux, bearings and seals. But, they used the original cam. (it was an original low mileage numbers matching engine) He had it installed and it started right up and sounded great. He took it for a short ride to Perth Amboy, about 7 miles one way. On the way back at around 45-50 mph the camshaft broke in 3 pieces and totally destroyed the engine. I found him a low mileage ( forty something thousand mile) good running engine out of a 1949 Champion. We paid $250.00 for it. All he did was a head gasket and water pump, cleaned and painted it and installed it. He's still got it and it still runs like a CHAMP, no pun intended.

Originally posted by Hawklover View Post
    But, they used the original cam. He took it for a short ride to Perth Amboy, about 7 miles one way. On the way back at around 45-50 mph the camshaft broke in 3 pieces and totally destroyed the engine.
    Wonder how that was accomplished? In sixty years, I've never seen a Champion cam break in a running engine.

it was an original low mileage numbers matching engine)
    Which required a major rebuild why?

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

I wonder if they left the camshaft bearings out, or installed them wrong so the oil passages were blocked?
      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Originally posted by gordr View Post
        I wonder if they left the camshaft bearings out, or installed them wrong so the oil passages were blocked?
        My thoughts, exactly. Sheer incompetence in both cases.
        sigpic

Comment

If the camshaft broke in three places, its more like SHEAR incompetence.

Comment

One other thing...due to the moment of excitement and impatience to drive a newly overhauled engine, more than one newly rebuilt engine has been trashed because of overlooking or forgetting to prime the oil pump!
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Gents I can only tell you what my friend related, I am however happy that the guy was able to get a replacement engine and enjoys the car. I wonder who the master re-builder was in Delaware?

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                One other thing...due to the moment of excitement and impatience to drive a newly overhauled engine, more than one newly rebuilt engine has been trashed because of overlooking or forgetting to prime the oil pump!
                I've skipped this step before; with generous amounts of assembly lube, it doesn't seem like it *should* be a problem. I usually do crank a fresh or long sitting engine until it picks up oil first. Both a bit lazy, but I've not been bitten yet.
                Whirling dervish of misinformation.

Comment

Working...
                X