289 solid lifters.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 289 solid lifters.

Are Studebaker solid lifters reusable. None of the lifters I removed from my '60 motor show abnormal wear.
    Toby Knoll Garage

www.tobyknollgarage.com
    ______

'51 Muntz Jet
    '53 Woodill Wildfire/Dodge
    '54 Hudson Hornet Grand National Tribute car
    '55 Studebaker Speedster/Cadillac
    '56 Corvette SR replica

Of course they are, but once removed from their Original Cam Lobe, if not put back correctly, a Regrind Camshaft, Lifter Set or Both is required.

Wait for it ... Jack V, our resident Pro "Machinist" will say: "For True" or "Yes, No, Maybe" !!
    That's OK, the more opinions the better.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 08-27-2021, 01:56 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The lifters can be reground. I send mine to Phil Harris at Fairborn Studebaker.
      Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

I would not reuse old lifters on a new or reground camshaft. That is asking to wipe out one or more of the lobes on the cam. New lifters are available so why take a chance on destroying a good cam. Bud

Comment

You CAN use old lifters provided you do 2 things correctly:
          1. install them in exactly the same bores they were removed from.
          2. re-install the cam they came with.

You CANNOT mix old and new parts (cam/lifters)

Comment

Absolutely what they said. They gotta go back in the same hole they came out of, and if you didn't do that, you are out several hundred bucks. Years ago in the AHS (auto hobby shop) on base, an E-8 came in and proceeded to pull and completely dismantle the engine of his Buick (which seemed to run fine when it came in) After a day of universal puzzlement in the shop, Hogan, the supervisor, had to ask him what he was doing. The zebra replied "overhauling the engine" Hogan said you haven't checked out any number stamps, I hope you know where the pistons and lifters go. ( The engine had no factory stamps on the rod caps.) Zebra had a big pile of parts on the table and no idea where they came from. He spent 3 more days trying to figure out where things went before buying a new motor. He spent over a week and hundreds of 1970's dollars on a project that didn't need doing all because he was an E-8 that wasn't about to ask for guidance or accept any E-5's advice.
            Last edited by showbizkid; 08-30-2021, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X