No announcement yet.

SRW 5-bolt big truck rear axle use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: SRW 5-bolt big truck rear axle use?

Which model Studebaker trucks came with single rear wheels and 5- bolt big truck pattern? Were the SRW axles a different width than the DRW?

I can remember a supposedly custom ordered M15 1-ton pickup, restored in brown/tan, I first saw at the 1982 IM in the Seattle area. It was for sale and I strongly considered buying it, but the 40 MPH top speed was the deal-breaker. It was eventually bought by an interesting old character here in Spokane and it sat outdoors for many years on his small used car lot on Sprague Avenue. One day, he and it were gone and I never learned what happened to it. It could be the one in this internet photo from the LeMay, but can't verify. Anyone else remember this truck?

Click image for larger version  Name:	20852726092_d2202bb05f_b.jpg Views:	0 Size:	74.9 KB ID:	1908445

For the rest of the story, a local truck friend has a unique 1950 Reo Power Wagon 1-ton 9'-box pickup with 5-lug 20" wheels. As with most old truck guys, the 6.33 rear gear is too low for today's hobby use. IIRC, Studebaker used mostly Timken rear axles on larger trucks. What trucks may have had the Timken E102 with 5.29 rear gear?

Does anyone recall what later trucks might have the Dana 70 or Dana 80 rear axles with 5-lug wheels?

jack vines
    Last edited by PackardV8; 08-24-2021, 08:52 AM.
    PackardV8

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2062.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	1908461 Jack, my 1949 2R-15 had a Timken SRW axle with 6.33 gears and five lug wheels. The rear drums had a spacer fastened to them which brought the wheel out to where the outside wheel of the duals would have been. So (I assume) Studebaker used the same axle for single or dual rear wheels.
    Rick
    Kingman, AZ

Comment

Interestingly, the R10-11 3/4-ton got giant 14" drums, while the R14 -15 1-ton got a considerably lighter 13" drum. It was a 1/2" wider, so the total lining area was greater.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

Working...
      X