53 3/4 ton Milk truck engine swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 53 3/4 ton Milk truck engine swap

Will a 232 from a 53 swap into a 53 3/4 tonMilk Truck?

Depends on what is meant by "swap". Anything is possible for someone with good fabrication skills. There are many parts, small and large, that are different on the 6 and V8. If you had access to a complete V8 parts truck, you would have all or almost all of the necessary parts to do the job without fabricating anything. These include: bell housing, motor mounts, drive shaft, clutch and throttle linkage, etc. In addition, if the milk truck was equipped with a Champion 6, the the springs and radiator would also be needed. Assume a 53 would have a K-member front frame cross section and aircraft-type shocks. If not, then more fabrication would be necessary.
    Last edited by Skip Lackie; 08-23-2021, 04:00 AM.
    Skip Lackie

Comment

Truck came with a six. I’m an intermediary asking for a friend.

Comment

Plenty of room under the hood. My 52 pickup has a 259 swapped in by someone without the truck specific parts, but the factory parts make it easier and no cobbling required.
        "In the heart of Arkansas."
        Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
          Depends on what is meant by "swap". Anything is possible for someone with good fabrication skills. There are many parts, small and large, that are different on the 6 and V8. If you had access to a complete V8 parts truck, you would have all or almost all of the necessary parts to do the job without fabricating anything. These include: bell housing, motor mounts, drive shaft, clutch and throttle linkage, etc. In addition, if the milk truck was equipped with a Champion 6, the the springs and radiator would also be needed. Assume a 53 would have a K-member front frame cross section and aircraft-type shocks. If not, then more fabrication would be necessary.
          Skip,

Is the imput shaft on the 6 the same as on the V8? 3 spd O/D vs 4 Spd.? Clutch differences between 6 and 8? Exhaust differences?

Bo

Comment

Bo-
            You're right -- all those things are different, too -- at least between the V8 and Champion 6. The Commander 6 and V8 used the same input shaft and clutch. Those were just supposed to be examples, not a complete list. For example, the Champion 6 had a different Pitman arm, too -- something I found out when I put a Commander 6 in a former 3R5.
            Skip Lackie

Comment

I think it says it ALL, if you explain to the Buyer that Pre-1954 Heavy Trucks and No Pre-1955 1/2 or 3/4 Ton Light Trucks had V8's, so it is doable just far from a "Bolt In".

The Original "Six" is very likely a Commander "245" Flathead, plenty adequate for a Milk Truck to go 35 to 55 MPH.
              Last edited by StudeRich; 08-23-2021, 11:02 AM.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
              X