Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Powering overdrive solenoid after 12V conversion?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Did anyone mention to you that for New Replacement and NOS Studebaker Parts the PLACE to go is:

    https://studebakervendors.com

    New Solenoids are under $200.00 if you Shop at the RIGHT Place!
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

    Comment


    • #17
      I have never heard of overdrive solenoids being different for hardtops. convertibles, or station wagons. What possible reason could there be?
      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

      Comment


      • #18
        That HAS to be Non-Studebaker Overdrive Information if it is even true!
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          That HAS to be Non-Studebaker Overdrive Information if it is even true!
          It looks like you're correct. The book lists the the same part number for all body styles of that year (I should have checked before posting). And Stephen Allen's out of Florida just confirmed it....For anyone browsing this post with the same issue in the future, the original 6V OD solenoid part number is 521429 and I was just told the 12V replacement part number is 458502.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
            Did anyone mention to you that for New Replacement and NOS Studebaker Parts the PLACE to go is:

            https://studebakervendors.com

            New Solenoids are under $200.00 if you Shop at the RIGHT Place!
            Holy crap. Thank you.

            Comment


            • #21
              Just about to order the solenoid (0731-1) and relay (0731-19) when I noticed the governor (0731-27) and switch (0731-16). See red arrows. Will those need updating too?


              Click image for larger version

Name:	20210913_205056.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	1911542

              Comment


              • #22
                The small box 731-16 is the Reverse Lockout Switch that was eliminated on later Cars as not needed overkill.
                The 731-27 is the Governor that Grounds the Solenoid at Speed, BOTH are not Voltage Sensitive, and also if they ARE there, (New Ones are) probably Not needed.

                UPDATE: to clarify, depending on just how that was read and understood, it could read wrong.
                Thanks Gordy!
                Last edited by StudeRich; 09-14-2021, 07:12 PM.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                  The small box 731-16 is the Reverse Lockout Switch that was eliminated on later Cars as not needed overkill.
                  The 731-27 is the Governor that Grounds the Solenoid at Speed, BOTH are not Voltage Sensitive, and also if they are there, probably Not needed.
                  Thank you, StudeRich.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    The Governor may just need cleaning of the contacts, if you have trouble with it. I've always thought that if I could modify the Governor to be a switch instead of grounding, I might could eliminate the relay and simplify things.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      I know Rich didn't mean to say that, but the governor is definitely needed. It is the actual brains of the overdrive. Usually all they need is a little burnishing of the contacts, which are easy to reach. The contacts are part of the cover, which comes off easily, with no small spring-loaded parts under it waiting to fly out.

                      I'd say the grounding contact to trigger the relay is the simple way to do it. An ungrounded switch in the governor would have to pass the full current of the solenoid pull-in coil, which is considerable. If the contacts in the governor degraded, you could get incomplete solenoid strokes, which might make parts break.
                      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by gordr View Post
                        I know Rich didn't mean to say that, but the governor is definitely needed. It is the actual brains of the overdrive. Usually all they need is a little burnishing of the contacts, which are easy to reach. The contacts are part of the cover, which comes off easily, with no small spring-loaded parts under it waiting to fly out.

                        I'd say the grounding contact to trigger the relay is the simple way to do it. An ungrounded switch in the governor would have to pass the full current of the solenoid pull-in coil, which is considerable. If the contacts in the governor degraded, you could get incomplete solenoid strokes, which might make parts break.
                        Thank you, Gord. Good information. I'll share it with the gentleman who helps me mechanically. He's in his seventies and very knowledgeable about older cars but these additional details are helpful.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X