Flight O Matic Transmission parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Flight O Matic Transmission parts

I had the Power Shift transmission in my "new" 1964 GT Hawk go bad; so am rebuilding it. However, the front clutch drum was worn, so I needed a new one. I took FOUR Flight O Matics apart to find a good - useable one. Now I am wondering - do all these transmission parts have any value to anyone? Should I scrap iron bellhousings, transmission cases, etc. and keep the internal parts? Does anyone have use for any of this stuff? Thanks, Dan Caswell dcas@srt.com or dancaswellcollectibles.com

YES!
    Charles (Chuck) Tubens in Portland, OR regularly rebuilds Stude. Automatic Transmissions, and might need some Hard Parts which are getting harder to find. You can PM me for his contact from my SDC Member Roster if you don't have one.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I have an "extra" trans also, and believe if I do discard it, next week someone will desperatley need trans parts. If you have the room keep it.

Comment

If any of you have the H.D. Flight-O-Matic or Power Shift Transmission Cases/or Complete, with the Two Oil Cooler Lines on the Right Side, those are worth saving.
        Also; Torque Converters, H.D. Truck FOM's with Low Gear Start etc. SOMEBODY will want them!
        StudeRich

Comment

I have 4 worn clutch drums that will go to rebuilder to get machined and sleeved. They were supposed to go last year but the Covid thing got in the way. I also have 4 NOS drums in stock. FYI the oil hole in the Powershift transmission drum is larger. That's what they make drill bits for.
          sigpic
          Claude Chmielewski
          Studeski
          http://www.studeski.com
          Fillmore, Wisconsin
          47 M-16 Truck
          53 Commander Regal HT
          53 2R5
          60 Lark VIII Convertible
          60 5E7 Champ pickup
          62 5E7 Champ no box
          62 GT Hawk 4 speed
          63 Lark VI parts car
          63 GT Hawk R2 4 speed
          64 Commander Wagonaire
          64 Daytona Convertible
          50 Champion Regal (parts car)
          36 Dictator
          36 Dictator in pieces

Comment

Thanks for reply's and info. I left a message on Chuck in Portland's phone to call me about the Governor on a Power Shift transmission - per Overhaul manual; mine has a governor for a 6 cylinder transmission and there is nothing in the Power Shift part of the book about a governor. I have several other V8 transmissions apart; so I do have governors on hand in case someone in the past put the wrong one in. Anyone with information on this subject; please email me dcas@srt.com or call me ASAP 701-721-3617 so I can finish this transmission rebuild. Also, there was a not in there about one of the clutch drums having a larger hole. I used some of the original Power Shift parts; and some from other transmissions that did not show wear. I do not know for sure which clutch housing was used from which transmission now; they all looked identical in any way I could compare. SO if I need to take the trans back apart and drill larger holes somewhere; maybe someone could call / email me with specifics about which clutch drum and what size hole. Also the Power Shift transmission had sintered brass discs in it; and according to Fatsco transmission parts; if I use those I would have to use type F fluid. So they sold me fiber discs for both clutch packs; that are supposedly the ones that run in Type A or Dexron fluid. Any input on that? Thanks so much for anyone's time. Dan Caswell, minot, ND

Comment

I have no idea about the Obsolete (Do NOT use any currently available Type "A", it's Junk) but, Yes the Cellulose Clutches do prefer Dexron/Mercon Fluid to allow more slippage.
              StudeRich

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Caswell View Post
                Thanks for reply's and info. I left a message on Chuck in Portland's phone to call me about the Governor on a Power Shift transmission - per Overhaul manual; mine has a governor for a 6 cylinder transmission and there is nothing in the Power Shift part of the book about a governor. I have several other V8 transmissions apart; so I do have governors on hand in case someone in the past put the wrong one in. Anyone with information on this subject; please email me dcas@srt.com or call me ASAP 701-721-3617 so I can finish this transmission rebuild. Also, there was a not in there about one of the clutch drums having a larger hole. I used some of the original Power Shift parts; and some from other transmissions that did not show wear. I do not know for sure which clutch housing was used from which transmission now; they all looked identical in any way I could compare. SO if I need to take the trans back apart and drill larger holes somewhere; maybe someone could call / email me with specifics about which clutch drum and what size hole. Also the Power Shift transmission had sintered brass discs in it; and according to Fatsco transmission parts; if I use those I would have to use type F fluid. So they sold me fiber discs for both clutch packs; that are supposedly the ones that run in Type A or Dexron fluid. Any input on that? Thanks so much for anyone's time. Dan Caswell, minot, ND
                No... don't take it apart. The regular type 8 drum has a .031" oil hole in it. The powershift drum has a .042" oil hole in it. This was mentioned years ago on this forum. I like the brass faced plates better. I always use type F fluid.
                sigpic
                Claude Chmielewski
                Studeski
                http://www.studeski.com
                Fillmore, Wisconsin
                47 M-16 Truck
                53 Commander Regal HT
                53 2R5
                60 Lark VIII Convertible
                60 5E7 Champ pickup
                62 5E7 Champ no box
                62 GT Hawk 4 speed