Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1950 Champion auxiliary steering arm and related questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Axle / Front Suspension: 1950 Champion auxiliary steering arm and related questions.

I have been in the process of rebuilding the front suspension of my 1950 Champion. Thanks to many posts in this forum I have managed to redo the kingpins and control arm bushings. I have proceeded to the steering linkages and discovered some of the slop I have felt in the steering is from the auxiliary arm. 1950 is a one year only front end and this part is as rare as hen's teeth. Searching the forums here I found a few references that suggest it is rebuildable. Now that I have it off the car I am baffled as to how this could be done as it is a threaded bushing similar to the control arm bushings. Can any of you explain to me how to go about rebuilding this?

Also, when I removed the right lower control arm this shim fell to the ground. I assume it was put there by someone doing a front end alignment that didn't have the equipment to straighten the frame. Am I correct?

That type of shim was standard operating procedure to tilt the lower control arm a bit if the mechanic was having trouble setting the caster. Just put it back. You can find them often on cars of that era.

There was an accessory with a coil spring and some washers that put downward load on the threads in the idler arm to take up slack. Those do turn up from time to time on ebay. That was also a common fix for the many makes of cars with threaded idlers.

Comment

Originally posted by Ross View Post
      That type of shim was standard operating procedure to tilt the lower control arm a bit if the mechanic was having trouble setting the caster. Just put it back. You can find them often on cars of that era.

There was an accessory with a coil spring and some washers that put downward load on the threads in the idler arm to take up slack. Those do turn up from time to time on eBay. That was also a common fix for the many makes of cars with threaded idlers.
      If Better Steering and Suspension Parts were made, they wouldn't be as the saying goes for Cars: "Built by Buick" it would be MOOG!
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Mr. Moog was from St. Louis and was a BIG supporter of Rankin Technical College. Some years ago Moog’s personal 1920’s Buick was restored by Rankin Tech, and I believe is still on display at the school on Finney Ave. in north St. Louis.

Comment

Working...
        X