Leak at shift lever into case 1963 power shift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Leak at shift lever into case 1963 power shift

It appears my power shift transmission has a leak at the shift lever case seal. How difficult is this seal and O ring to replace? Can the retaining nut be accessed easily with the pan off or is there more disassembly required first? Anybody have a part number for the seal and size of O ring?

It is a big job! Mines has had a little leak for decades; my transmission guy said he'd have to take the transmission apart to get at it . So I put a drip pan under it and add a pint annually. Parts $ 0.49--labor $600!

Comment

The worst part is getting the detent ball back under the "rooster comb" when putting it back together.
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I’d be on my back under the car. Sounds like it might not be worth the effort? Which one usually leaks…the O ring or the lip seal.? O ring might be treatable with a solvent to soften up. That might be a little scary with the lip seal.

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
          The worst part is getting the detent ball back under the "rooster comb" when putting it back together.
          No, the worst part is trying to find the damned detent ball after it goes flying across the garage. BTDT
          Jim Bradley
          Lake Monticello, VA
          '78 Avanti II
          sigpic

Comment

I don't know if this applies to your Car or not Nels, but many times the leaking is caused or worsened by the Pan being overfilled.
            If you run it more to keep the Converter full, it will be less of a problem.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Whether on you back or trans out of the car, that detent ball is a pain in the butt. When removing it hold a rag over the area so the ball doesn't take off. When installing get the detent lever where it does not cover the hole. Use a 1/4" nut driver (or was it 5/16'' ) to push the ball and spring in. When you turn the lever it will kick the nut driver out of the way. I believe the ball is 5/16". I keep spares on hand. Usually manual transmission bearings have the same size balls in them.
              sigpic
              Claude Chmielewski
              Studeski
              http://www.studeski.com
              Fillmore, Wisconsin
              47 M-16 Truck
              53 Commander Regal HT
              53 2R5
              60 Lark VIII Convertible
              60 5E7 Champ pickup
              62 5E7 Champ no box
              62 GT Hawk 4 speed
              63 Lark VI parts car
              63 GT Hawk R2 4 speed
              64 Commander Wagonaire
              64 Daytona Convertible
              50 Champion Regal (parts car)
              36 Dictator
              36 Dictator in pieces

Comment

This car hasn’t been on the road for awhile. I think I’ll put a rear seal in the extension housing and drive it awhile. Maybe the leak at the selector will slow down or quit or…….maybe it will get worse? I got insurance on the car today. I should have the blower back on it tomorrow and can give the girl a trip around the neighborhood.

Comment

Working...
                X