Pulls to the right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Pulls to the right

My 58 Packard has, for the last 4 years, pulled to right when the brakes are applied. I have adjusted them several times, replaced the cylinders, shoes, springs and the flexible hoses. No improvement. And now the brakes squeal!!! Just getting ready to take it to a real mechanic; can anyone out there think of anything I've missed. (Yes, I did do both sides and also went over the rear brakes.)

What brake shoes are you using? Relined or new production?

You might swap the front drums from side to side and see if that changes anything.

Comment

It may just be a tire and not the brakes, a torn cord in a tire can cause the same thing. On my daily driver on the highway at highway speed it would self steer to the to the other lane in 10 - 12 seconds when I let go of the wheel, it was a torn cord in the tire.

Comment

Believe it or not, I had a '64 Daytona that pulled Left, when everything BRAKE related checked out perfect, I discovered very LOOSE L/H upper "A" Arm Bushings and a slightly bent "A" Arm that would torque to the Left when Braked. ...Never say Never!
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

And I never did find out what caused my 55 to do the same thing, so a Turner Brake kit fixed it completely. I know this isn't for everyone, but this disc kit sure is comforting, stopping straight and smooth every time.

Comment

my right tie rod was visually bent, i jacked the car up on it, and it straighten it out enough but perfect, alignment, worn center pivot, helped with the pulling

Comment

Ensure that the anchor block is oriented correctly (see item circled in red). The slightly-curved side must contact the primary shoe/front shoe (you may need to pull the two springs and anchor plate off to see the slightly-curved side of the anchor block that I speak of).
              This information is illustrated and described in the 1959-64 Studebaker Shop Manual on page 12-13 of the Brake System section of the manual.

The photo is a front brake assembly from a 1963 Lark with V8.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Studebaker brake anchor block.jpg Views:	0 Size:	117.0 KB ID:	1906882
              Last edited by Milaca; 08-12-2021, 07:55 PM.
              sigpic
              In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Fixed it yesterday. Left front had to be tightened 14 clicks! Was originally adjusted up to the wheel was snug and back off 6 to 8 clicks until the wheel moves freely. Mike the mechanic said he has seen adjuster screws go bad and do this before. Brakes still squeal because of new shoes but boy can that car stop!! Woman tried to pull out in front of me and had to hit the brakes--instant straight ahead lock up stop and, of course, I get a 'who said you could use my road' look. After the new adjuster arrives and when it starts pulling to the right again, I'll replace it and the spring.

Comment

Some of the new linings from our Stude vendors are easily glazed and cause pulling to one side. Very frustrating

Comment

When I first got my 1958 Packard, it also pulled to the right. It was not a problem with the right side, it was the left side that wasn't working properly.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Had to go shopping yesterday, Terrible when you have to travel 45 mi. to by decent coffee!! On the way home, I stopped to pay a bill and heard a loud thunk. I could not see what I might have run over but noticed on the way home it pulled to the right when the brakes were applied. Ran it up on the lift this a.m. and the aluminum lower control arm was fractured!! Wonderful GM engineering again: sacrifice safety to save 2 lbs (maybe) of weight. (Let's not forget to blame gubmint interferrence, either.) Glad to be alive!! Wouldn't happen in a Studebaker.

Comment

I see that your Mechanic "Mike" said "the adjusters sometimes change adjustment with use when worn" ... NOT!
                        The Only way that could happen is, if he put the Adjuster on the Wrong Side!
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

We'll wait and see. I didn't think so either, but it did take 14 clicks and last fall it was adjusted to 6 or 8. FYI pns for adjusters are the same--right or left--front or back.

Comment

Working...
                          X