Shackles & Bushings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame / Springs: Shackles & Bushings

These are the shackles/bushings on my 56 P-Hawk. They need replacing, right? I sometimes get a klank on bigger bumps, could it be these?
    I see kits online, but when I enter the fitment info, they don't have them for my car. Do they make full kits? Who sells them?
    I've been watching and reading about Poly vs rubber, haven't made up my mind yet. It may just come down to who has a good kit. Feel free to weigh in.
    Thanks,
    Rafe Hollister
    Attached Files

You need to go to a Studebaker Vendor Website to get the correct Parts, NOT "on line".
    After writing down the correct Part Numbers, give them a call to get it right.

"Kits" are not needed, just decide if you want to go to the trouble to drive the Frame Bushings out or not and then order either 2 or 4.
    Then there are the Larger ones at the Front of the spring (2) that would be in almost as bad condition as the others.

Your "Klank" can be a Tailpipe or a Rear Shock, loose at the Top or Bottom.
    Sometimes the Shocks have been shimmed or Washer'ed up to fit incorrect, other Make Shocks & have come loose.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 08-09-2021, 06:28 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I second the loose shock idea. That's what the clank my car had when I got it was. Those shackel bushings look better than most I've seen Rafe, at least there's still some rubber in there, considering how little there is to start with. I made new bushings and shackles for my car; not that my originals were any worse than yours, probably better, but to fix what I consider to be a poor design that would allow the axle to move laterally under the car.

Comment

My shock bolts were terrible, but I redid them with corect fitting bolts washers and spacers. Sounds like I really dont need bushings? Should I shim up those gaps with washers?I shall look elsewhere for the clank.
        As always, much appreciated,

Rafe

Comment

Most of the loose and clanging rear shocks I have found, had incorrect Dia. mounting Bolts, Wrong bushing etc. so did not properly FIT.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

And put a little Never Seize or Lubriplate on the bolt when you reassemble it to be kind to the next guy who has to replace them. Did a 63 Ford a couple years ago--the bushings are in 2 parts and just slide in --and out. Took about 20 min whereas with a Stude it is about a 2 day job with lots of Bandaids.

Comment

Working...
            X