61 lark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 61 lark

My 61 Lark is a w model six cylinder. However the engine I believe is 63 with six cylinder. It has a spin on oil filter. The number is S 27766. It has a PCV value and oil filter cap.
    My questions are:
    1. How is the oil breathing system set up? There is no breather tube on either side of the engine. The engine does not seem to be modified or missing parts.So how would it breathe? Acording to the shop manual I should havea tube of some sort...
    2. It there a gasket between the PCV tube deal that goes into the push rod cover? The tube deal is flaired..
    Your help is appreciated.
    Thanks.

David G. Nittler
    David G. Nittler

1) the carb sucks fumes from the crankcase thru the PCV valve. The air enters the crankcase through the filtered oil fill hole.

2) I don't know.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
    Tom Bredehoft
    '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
    '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
    (Under Construction 571 hrs.)
    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
    All Indiana built cars

Comment

Check that engine number again, I think you missed a digit. A '61 would have a spin-on oil filter up on top of the engine. A '63 would have it located down low on the right rear of the block.
      There were two or three slightly different venting systems used on the OHV6, but basically they all inhale and burn crankcase fumes via the PCV valve by drawing fresh air into the crankcase through the vented oil fill cap.

[img][img]
      Dwain G.
      Another thing about wearing a mask......I don't have to shave before I leave the house!

Comment

Thanks for the info. I am sure the number is S27766. The oil filter is a spin on from the bottom. There is no type of breather tube.
        I had some oil spitting out the top of the cap.
        I did find a leak where the PCV valve assembly goes intot he push rod cover. The deal is flaired but doesn't seem to need a gasket.
        What does the breather tube do? It is not present on my engine and looks like nothing has been modified. Thanks.

David G. Nittler
        David G. Nittler

Comment

quote:Originally posted by drnittler

My 61 Lark is a w model six cylinder. However the engine I believe is 63 with six cylinder. It has a spin on oil filter. The number is S 27766. It has a PCV value and oil filter cap.
          My questions are:
          1. How is the oil breathing system set up? There is no breather tube on either side of the engine. The engine does not seem to be modified or missing parts.So how would it breathe? Acording to the shop manual I should havea tube of some sort...
          2. It there a gasket between the PCV tube deal that goes into the push rod cover? The tube deal is flaired..
          Your help is appreciated.
          Thanks.

David G. Nittler
          David,

According to the Parts Manual (you do have a Parts Manual, right?), the '61 OHV 6 engine used a breather tube (same p/n as the later '60 flathead 6). The '62 OHV 6 engine also used a breather tube, but a different p/n than the '61 OHV engine. Special order crankcase ventilation (ie, PCV valve setup) was available in '61 and '62 on the OHV 6. All '63 and '64 OHV 6 used a PCV setup.

The breather tubes and the PCV adapters do use a gasket where they attach to the lifter cover. IIRC, this was originally a cork gasket. I usually replace the gasket with an appropriately sized o-ring.

Paul
          Winston-Salem, NC
          Visit The NEW Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
          Paul
          Winston-Salem, NC
          Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Thanks for ther info. My PCV goes from pushrod cover to maniford under the carb. Dumb questions: Does the o ring goes around the outside of the PCV valve assembly that goes into the push rod cover gasket?
            Was there a filter inside that deal or no? Thanks again.

David G. Nittler
            David G. Nittler

Comment

quote:Originally posted by drnittler

Thanks for ther info. My PCV goes from pushrod cover to maniford under the carb. Dumb questions: Does the o ring goes around the outside of the PCV valve assembly that goes into the push rod cover gasket?
              Was there a filter inside that deal or no? Thanks again.

David G. Nittler
              David,

The part that fits onto the lifter cover with the one long bolt is NOT the PCV valve. This piece is just an adapter. A hose fits onto the adapter, and goes to the actual PCV valve that is attached to the intake manifold using a 90 degree elbow. The elbow is male on the end that screws into the manifold, and female on the end that the PCV valve screws into.

But, to answer your question - on the adapter, the o-ring will fit on the OD of the adapter, and seal against the lifter cover. No filter that I am aware of.

Also, note that the PCV setup is different between '63 and '64. The '63 uses the adapter, but the '64 has a threaded bung in the lifter cover instead of the adapter. The following two pics show this:
              1963:

1964:

Hope this helps.

Paul
              Winston-Salem, NC
              Visit The NEW Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
              Paul
              Winston-Salem, NC
              Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

hi, Thanks for the reply. I ahve the first picture. Dave

David G. Nittler
                David G. Nittler

Comment

Working...
                X