• Show
Clear All

• 64studeavanti
    replied
    FWIW, these are called split beam nuts.

Leave a comment:

• 64studeavanti
    replied
    I have seen nuts like that on a couple of 55s I have worked on. I believe they are designed for single use. My guess is that they were reused, losing the ability to hold.

Leave a comment:

• mbstude
    replied
    Bill, my ‘58 President came to me with the same loose lower shaft, and it’s an unrestored car that had sat in a garage for the last 40 years.

Leave a comment:

• gordr
    replied
    The factory used some sort of self-locking nut and a flat washer. No lock washers. I just tore down a Studebaker front clip yesterday. And there were some wrong bolts on the lower A-arm pivot shafts, too. No matter; they all yielded to the smoke wrench.

Leave a comment:

• jackb
    replied
    I can confirm those are the wrong nuts for the car. I recently questioned the original set up as not having lock washers. Was told here that they were special nuts from the factory. Upon inspection, the nuts do have 3 or 4 indents on the mating surface, but don't appear to me to be of a real "locking" type. Problem is there is not enough length to install lock washers here.......Loctite....?

Leave a comment:

• gordr
    replied
    You may also want to check and make certain that the holes in the frame crossmember have not been ovaled out. I have seen this happen. If the holes are still OK, replace the existing bolts with new Grade 8 bolts and self-locking nuts with flat washers, and use red Loctite, too.

Leave a comment:

• jts359
    replied
    You might want to tighten all of those bolts, Upper and lower A frames , But I would check the condition of those really loose ones first , Ed

Leave a comment:

• Loose Lower Control Arm

I'm gonna replace the control arm bushings in a new build and was curious about using Delrin or rubber.
    I read this fine essay by Bob Johnstone and pretty much decided what I was going to do.
    https://studebaker-info.org/Tech/Sus...ushingsrj.html

My wagon came to me with Delrin bushings and all this reading inspired me to go take a look.
    The tops were tight, but I found a surprise on the bottom.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210730_132344.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	1905215

Bill
    Attached Files
Working...
X