Loose Lower Control Arm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Axle / Front Suspension: Loose Lower Control Arm

I'm gonna replace the control arm bushings in a new build and was curious about using Delrin or rubber.
    I read this fine essay by Bob Johnstone and pretty much decided what I was going to do.
    https://studebaker-info.org/Tech/Sus...ushingsrj.html

My wagon came to me with Delrin bushings and all this reading inspired me to go take a look.
    The tops were tight, but I found a surprise on the bottom.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210730_132344.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	1905215

Bill
    Attached Files
    http://www.rustyrestorations.org/index.php
    sigpic

You might want to tighten all of those bolts, Upper and lower A frames , But I would check the condition of those really loose ones first , Ed

Comment

You may also want to check and make certain that the holes in the frame crossmember have not been ovaled out. I have seen this happen. If the holes are still OK, replace the existing bolts with new Grade 8 bolts and self-locking nuts with flat washers, and use red Loctite, too.
      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

I can confirm those are the wrong nuts for the car. I recently questioned the original set up as not having lock washers. Was told here that they were special nuts from the factory. Upon inspection, the nuts do have 3 or 4 indents on the mating surface, but don't appear to me to be of a real "locking" type. Problem is there is not enough length to install lock washers here.......Loctite....?

Comment

The factory used some sort of self-locking nut and a flat washer. No lock washers. I just tore down a Studebaker front clip yesterday. And there were some wrong bolts on the lower A-arm pivot shafts, too. No matter; they all yielded to the smoke wrench.
          Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Bill, my ‘58 President came to me with the same loose lower shaft, and it’s an unrestored car that had sat in a garage for the last 40 years.

Comment

I have seen nuts like that on a couple of 55s I have worked on. I believe they are designed for single use. My guess is that they were reused, losing the ability to hold.
              78 Avanti RQB 2792
              64 Avanti R1 R5408
              63 Avanti R1 R4551
              63 Avanti R1 R2281
              62 GT Hawk V15949
              56 GH 6032504
              56 GH 6032588
              55 Speedster 7160047
              55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

FWIW, these are called split beam nuts.
                78 Avanti RQB 2792