Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leyrret
    replied
    Here's a piece that I can't find in the parts book. It look's to be a bracket that is used with the j-hook safety latch. It would fit in the air defector(?) right were latch mounting bracket bolts to it on a hawk. The original would have to be cut and this welded in. Anyone know where this originated?

Leave a comment:

• Doug M
    replied
    Tex I looked through my 53 bulletin and did not find anything about this Doug M

Leave a comment:

• jpepper
    replied
    I had a hood on a 56 Hawk come up on me when I was 17 (a long time ago). I hit a bump doing 45MPH and up it came. I stood on the brakes so it never hit the roof. It gouged the fenders and bent the hood corners. It is something I never want to repeat. A buddy had the hood come up on an R2 GT at 65MPH. That one did a lot of damage. Without question put the latch pin in or some kind of mechanical restraint.

Jim

james r pepper

Leave a comment:

• JimK
    replied
    Installing a pin as suggested for Hawks is a good idea, but it might become academic if the nut attaching the whole dovetail assembly to the hood backs out. [xx(] I found mine to be a little loose and tightened it up; a previous owner's restoration might have missed some detail here. Has anybody added a lock washer or some other "insurance" to this, or do I have something missing?

Jim K.
    63 Hawk

Leave a comment:

• sbca96
    replied
    They can also be distorted by just not opening up the hood correctly.
    Studebaker should have mounted opening instruction on each car. Most
    will just lift and arc the hood at the rear like any other car, but the
    C/K hoods need to be lifted AND pulled forward at the same time. I can
    see this rarely being done.

Tom

Leave a comment:

• pgothard
    replied
    Flashback -

One other possibility to consider regarding distorted hood corners:

The hood design in the area of the hinges is rather weak. If, at some time, the hinges were stiff or rust-seized and hood was forcibly opened or closed, the torque may have buckled the hood corners. My '53 came with distorted hood corners AND very stiff hinges (from lack of lube). I think that's why CE sells those metal inserts - to stiffen up that area. I installed a pair on mine - piece of cake!

--Paul

Leave a comment:

• sbca96
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by Tom B

Tom's solution is great, for the Hawks, won't work on 53s or 54s.
    I had planned to eventually do a 53 conversion on my Hawk, so I did
    some thinking on how to make a 53 hood open out. What I came up with
    was making a pivot point higher up. Where the hood goes down to the
    point up front, create a bar to go across between these two structure
    points on the fender and remove the latch assembly and the lower area
    under the "nose". Then the hood will rise up at the rear, and nose
    will tuck under toward the radiator. I realize this is considerably
    more work than the Hawk, but could be almost unnoticeable. One could
    even add weight to the nose to counter balance the rear of the hood
    and make it extremely easy to open.

FYI, I dont have a 53 around here, so I am going on memory from about
    15 years ago when I was around one with the hood open.

Tom

Leave a comment:

• Tom Bredehoft
    replied
    Tom's solution is great, for the Hawks, won't work on 53s or 54s.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
    Tom Bredehoft
    '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
    '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
    (Under Construction 571 hrs.)
    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
    All Indiana built cars

Leave a comment:

• bams50
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by ralt12

we are using the pinning arrangement that Ken used in the second post. Maybe it's a PITA, but it's certainly better than having a hood and paint ruined. It's cheap insurance.
    Not to mention the filled shorts from the hood suddenly crashing up over the windshield!![:0][:0][:0]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Leave a comment:

• ralt12
    replied
    When I first got my '53, my crew chief (for another race car) said the first thing I needed to do was find a way to securely latch the hood, as his Bonneville experience in the '60s suggested that there was no way the stock latch was adequate.
    So we are using the pinning arrangement that Ken used in the second post. Maybe it's a PITA, but it's certainly better than having a hood and paint ruined. It's cheap insurance.

'53 Commander
    Art Morrison chassis
    LS6 ASA/4L60E

Leave a comment:

• bams50
    replied
    Tom's cure is by far the best! Solves not only the fly-up problem, but the problem of the PITA under-hood access... and as a bonus, eliminate the cut heads from the latch dagger[xx(]

Tom's way seems like the obvious way to attach these hoods. I suppose that by that time Studebaker was so shell-shocked that clear thinking was at a minimum, or they certainly would have done this from the start

EDITED TO ADD: I realize this isn't an option for show cars; but for the other 98%, it's a great idea!

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Leave a comment:

• alanmende
    replied
    Coming back from the Lancaster meet a day before the concours, a fellow came by me in the left lane of Rt. 283 (65 MPH speed limit that I was probably doing at the time), dropped back a bit, and started blowing his horn at me, pointing to my hood. That's when I noticed it was rattling. So I pulled over and discovered that only the J-hook was holding it down. (What a bummer that would have been if the hood flew up and wrapped itself over the windshield and roof the day before judging!) I readjusted the dovetail a bit lower and haven't had any other incidents, but I like Ken Byrd's idea. Pretty cheap insurance, I'd say.

Kindest regards,

Alan Mende
    Hummelstown, PA

I'm not a mechanic; I don't even play one on TV.

Leave a comment:

• sbca96
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by 53k
    I have never heard of a '53 - '55 C/K hood flying open. Hawks, yes- pretty common problem.
    Hawk problem solved :

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...?TOPIC_ID=8122

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires

Leave a comment:

• Andy R.
    replied
    I've never had any issue with either of my GT Hawks.
    After seeing Ken's photo several months ago, I couldn't resist following his example.

To that I added a simple black zip-tie loosely through the ring so I don't lose the pin in a predictably future "senior moment."[:0]

Andy
    62 GT

Leave a comment:

• Tom Bredehoft
    replied
    When I got my '53 in '59, both rear corners of the hood had been repaired, leaded, primered painted to match (sorta) both side rails showed ground down weld where they had broken. It had come up at some point before I got it.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
    Tom Bredehoft
    '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
    '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
    (Under Construction 571 hrs.)
    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
    All Indiana built cars

Leave a comment:

Working...
X