Brakes and wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Brakes and wheels

I have been trying to contact Turner Brakes and have had no luck. Are they still in business? Tried email and calling.

Wondering if these wheels, 16 by 7 would fit either the stock brake setup on a 63 Avanti or the Turner brake setup (front and rear disc). If not, anyone know of a similar looking wheel that would fit?

Thanks, Tom

https://www.americanracing.com/produ...olished-barrel

Click image for larger version  Name:	Render.png Views:	31 Size:	34.7 KB ID:	1905066
    Last edited by tanda62; 07-29-2021, 10:56 AM.

I see 15 inch wheels, but not 16 inch wheels. Do you really mean 16 inch, or was that a typo?
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

There is a tab at the top of the chart with the different options for wheel sizes from 15 to 20. Not really highlighted but if you run your mouse over the numbers you can click on them to get results for the different sizes. And yep I do mean 16, thanks.

Comment

Turner Brakes fairly recently relocated to South Carolina. Is that where you are trying to reach them?
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I tried the number on the website - the address is in South Carolina but the area code is Indianapolis. Maybe an updated number will be coming to the website soon. I know moving can make things "interesting" having moved many times with the military.

Comment

I have 16X7 alloys on and they were the same spec as the Magnum 500 at +15mm offset (3/8"). The tire you use has a lot to do with it and mine are 65Rear/60Front series. From what I have experienced, the 16 X 7 at 0 offset would have been a better selection.
            64 GT Hawk (K7)
            1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Found these wheels as a possible, size 16 by 6:

https://www.rocketracingwheels.com/r...niter-gray/p38

With these tires maybe?

https://www.cokertire.com/tires/p215...h-redline.html

Comment

Originally posted by tanda62 View Post
                Thanks for the reply. I tried the number on the website - the address is in South Carolina but the area code is Indianapolis.
                Maybe Jim was using his cell phone number for business? If so, I would think his cell phone would still work in SC.
                Paul
                Winston-Salem, NC
                Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

tanda62, Jim's number is 317-294-1492 and he prefers after 7 pm eastern time. His email is 52ragtop@comcast.net. He told me I could give these out.

Comment

j.bryd, thank you for the information. The email is different than the one on the website, I will give it a try.
                    Tom

Comment

I believe several other vendors sell Jim's kit, and you can buy your own wheels, new or used. Summit has new ones, 6" wide, which is a popular upgrade for our Studes.

Comment

15 x 5 15 x 5.5 15 x 6
                        Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

I have 17 x 7.5" Ford 2015- 2019 Mustang wheels with 235 - 55 -17 tires on my GT. There is no problem clearing ANY brake I've had on it , both the stock brakes and the '04 Mustang brakes clear easily. The wheel/tire assembly is virtually identical in diameter to the 215-70-15 or 205-75-15. My wheels have a lot of backspace, so I did use a spacer to move the wheels out some on the front, for suspension clearance while turning.

Comment

Got a hold of Jim Turner and the front and rear brakes are ordered! Thanks for all the help.

bensherb - how much backspacing do you have? The 16x6 wheels I am looking at have 3.5 inch backspacing and 0 offset.

Comment

Originally posted by tanda62 View Post
                              Got a hold of Jim Turner and the front and rear brakes are ordered! Thanks for all the help.

bensherb - how much backspacing do you have? The 16x6 wheels I am looking at have 3.5 inch backspacing and 0 offset.
                              I think my 17" Mustang wheels are about an inch more than that, I have a 1" spacer under them. The 15" Steel Crown Vic wheels I had before were 3.75" back space, and fit the stock brakes very well. A bit of clearancing was needed for the '04 Mustang caliper.

Comment

Working...
                              X