Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

New Brakes Work Wonders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Brakes Work Wonders

Hey y'all,

Had my Daytona's brake system completely redone a couple months ago: New shoes, lines, drums, hoses, etc. Everything but the Master Cylinder.

Prior to that, I was getting this terrible "clunking" sound in the rearend when I would change directions (forward to reverse and vice-versa). I just knew I was going to be forking out some significant bucks for a rearend rebuild or at least have to install new universals. But since the brake rebuild... no more clunking.

Apparently the rear brakes were binding really badly, causing the clunk as they "unstuck" themselves. I'm so releived....

Just wanted to update ya.

Jim's pride....
    1963 Daytona Convertible

Cool Deal, Jim! Your speculating as to the cause sounds plausible and even moreso since it's cured with the rebuild.

In some cases, such a noise can be from the hubs not being installed correctly and the consequent ruining of the keyways in the hub & axle.[8]
    Other things, like the looseness you feared or a bad U-joint in the driveshaft could also cause such a noise. I say all this because it would be wrong for someone reading this to make a judgement call based soley on your experience.
    Some clunking noise can even be expected (when changing direction) on cars fitted with self-adjusters.

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Good info, Mr.B! Thanks.

Jim's pride....
      1963 Daytona Convertible

Comment

So, when are you gonna drive that drop top over to Hazlehurst for us to see? [8D]

Matthew Burnette
        Hazlehurst, Georgia
        '59 Scotsman PU
        '63 Daytona HT

http://mbstudebaker.blogspot.com/
        http://thestudillac.blogspot.com/

Comment

Spring will be here for ya know it.

quote:Originally posted by mbstude

So, when are you gonna drive that drop top over to Hazlehurst for us to see? [8D]
          Jim's pride....
          1963 Daytona Convertible

Comment

Working...
          X