Above door Flippers 1957 Golden Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Above door Flippers 1957 Golden Hawk

Has anyone put new Cat whiskers in these? And do you have a how to instructions? This does not look like fun at all.
    Let me know thanks Anne

Mabel 1949 Champion
    1957 Silverhawk
    1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    1955 President State
    1957 Golden Hawk
    Fresno,Ca
    Mabel 1949 Champion
    Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    The Prez 1955 President State
    Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
    Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
    Fresno,Ca

What sucks is when these dont stay up and you close the door.[B)]

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
    '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
    Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
    I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

It definitely is NOT fun, but refer to Lark Parker's series on stainless repair in this forum. I made the little tool to open up the crimped edges, which helps to minimize the damage to the front side.

Gallivan
      57 Golden Hawk
      Golden, CO
      Gallivan
      57 Golden Hawk
      Golden, CO

Comment

Anne, the little levers that stick out from the two sections of the flippers that are hit by the door window to close the flippers are critical and must be coated with plastic coating to hit soon enough to make it all work. I think I can see yours, (levers that is! [:I])in the pic and they look BARE!
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:and must be coated with plastic coating
          I bought a pair of these in '94 at the swap meet at the Int'l in MN. One was NOS and had/has a plastic piece on it like Rich mentions. The other was a good used one and did not. I seem recall the '53-'58 body parts book calls out that a change was made to these and the earlier ones had a rubber cap on there and then it was changed to the plastic. My guess would be the rubber caps were falling off.....

I got some heat shrink tubing that was large enough and built up a "cap" with that. I think 2 layers. Holds up a lot better than black electrical tape.

These things are a royal pain to try to get working properly. I've never been able to get the driver side one on my '53 to "snap" like its supposed to. I've spent hours adjusting it and adding/removing washers and shims to no avail. I figure as long as its not getting hit by the door I am doing better than some [^]

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

Beware of the new replacement flipper springs. They are VERY stiff, too stiff actually and will distroy your flipper. I talk from experience. It happened to me last year. The rivets of the brackets that hold the springs in place are riveted to the outside SS side of the fipper and just ripped the rivets through their holes. I had to get the entire flipper replaced. Now I have heard that if you take a torch to the springs and heat them up, it will eliminate some of the stiffness. I don't know this for sure.

Don C.

Comment

Working...
            X