X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cus63
    replied
    Originally posted by 64studeavanti View Post
    Flightomatic V8 transmissions normally start in 2nd gear.
    Yeah, I realise that, but I have mentioned above that I flattened it to start, should drop to first with a full throttle start? Also, wondering at what speed in 3rd if pedal pushed down, should it kick back to 2nd on a flat road.
    Last edited by Cus63; 07-27-2021, 03:58 AM.

Leave a comment:

• 64studeavanti
    replied
    Flightomatic V8 transmissions normally start in 2nd gear.

Leave a comment:

• Cus63
    replied
    Ok, throttle pressure definitely not set properly, I set the throttle to bell crank arm to have the correct gap 17/64 between the pads, & re-set the idle etc.,
    from a standing start, if I tramp it goes from 2-3rd at about 40mph ( & a nice change), but either it's not dropping to 1st or it's a very smooth change from 1st - 2nd ?
    Can't seem to feel the 2 changes to get to third with a full throttle start on flat ground.
    I haven't altered the linkage from the bell crank to the trans yet, measurement is 13.9 inches.

regards, Cus

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Originally posted by Cus63 View Post
    Hello Rich,
    TC was split & re-built, changes seem OK, but on normal level ground take off, jumps from 2-3 pretty quickly, & takes a bit to get it to kick down from 3-2.
    It's hard to explain the sound, more like a hissing/rushing sound.
    Ok, THIS is a definite clue that the Throttle Pressure Adjustment I asked about, was not done or not done correctly, because you have LOW Pressure.

MUCH more important to worry about, than the Converter Noise.

Leave a comment:

• Cus63
    replied
    Hello Dwain,
    Was just reading an old post of yours.

08-19-2008, 10:00 PM
    The transmission could be a little low on fluid. It isn't a 'gurgling' noise coming from the heater/defroster is it?
    It could be a normal sound too. From the manual....the rushing or swishing sound from the torque converter when accelerating rapidly in drive intermediate which is a normal noise due to the vortex flow in the converter under heavy load.

Dwain G

Leave a comment:

• Dwain G.
    replied
    I definitely remember hearing that 'hissing' noise in 1956 cars, but not in any others.

Leave a comment:

• Cus63
    replied
    Hello Rich,
    TC was split & re-built, changes seem OK, but on normal level ground take off, jumps from 2-3 pretty quickly, & takes a bit to get it to kick down from 3-2.
    It's hard to explain the sound, more like a hissing/rushing sound.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Not normal, did they rebuild the Torque Converter?
    Probably kind of a Sloshing Sound right, like a Bad Stator in the Converter?

Does the throttle Pressure seem correct; i.e. the Shift Points seem at a Normal speed and Firmness?
    And WAS the throttle Pressure Set up after Install?

Leave a comment:

• Cus63
    started a topic Transmission / Overdrive: Flightomatic

Flightomatic

Hello All,
    Finally got my Fightomatic back in the 61 Hawk, car is running & changing well. The trans is quite noisy when under load, like a rushing/sucking sound, could be quite normal,
    sounds like the torque converter, just checking!

regards, Cus
Working...
X