Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Flightomatic

Hello All,
    Finally got my Fightomatic back in the 61 Hawk, car is running & changing well. The trans is quite noisy when under load, like a rushing/sucking sound, could be quite normal,
    sounds like the torque converter, just checking!

regards, Cus
    sigpic

Not normal, did they rebuild the Torque Converter?
    Probably kind of a Sloshing Sound right, like a Bad Stator in the Converter?

Does the throttle Pressure seem correct; i.e. the Shift Points seem at a Normal speed and Firmness?
    And WAS the throttle Pressure Set up after Install?
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Hello Rich,
      TC was split & re-built, changes seem OK, but on normal level ground take off, jumps from 2-3 pretty quickly, & takes a bit to get it to kick down from 3-2.
      It's hard to explain the sound, more like a hissing/rushing sound.
      sigpic

Comment

I definitely remember hearing that 'hissing' noise in 1956 cars, but not in any others.
        "Burning Bridges...Lost Forevermore"......

Comment

Hello Dwain,
          Was just reading an old post of yours.

08-19-2008, 10:00 PM
          The transmission could be a little low on fluid. It isn't a 'gurgling' noise coming from the heater/defroster is it?
          It could be a normal sound too. From the manual....the rushing or swishing sound from the torque converter when accelerating rapidly in drive intermediate which is a normal noise due to the vortex flow in the converter under heavy load.

Dwain G
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cus63 View Post
            Hello Rich,
            TC was split & re-built, changes seem OK, but on normal level ground take off, jumps from 2-3 pretty quickly, & takes a bit to get it to kick down from 3-2.
            It's hard to explain the sound, more like a hissing/rushing sound.
            Ok, THIS is a definite clue that the Throttle Pressure Adjustment I asked about, was not done or not done correctly, because you have LOW Pressure.

MUCH more important to worry about, than the Converter Noise.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Ok, throttle pressure definitely not set properly, I set the throttle to bell crank arm to have the correct gap 17/64 between the pads, & re-set the idle etc.,
              from a standing start, if I tramp it goes from 2-3rd at about 40mph ( & a nice change), but either it's not dropping to 1st or it's a very smooth change from 1st - 2nd ?
              Can't seem to feel the 2 changes to get to third with a full throttle start on flat ground.
              I haven't altered the linkage from the bell crank to the trans yet, measurement is 13.9 inches.

regards, Cus
              sigpic

Comment

Flightomatic V8 transmissions normally start in 2nd gear.
                78 Avanti RQB 2792
                64 Avanti R1 R5408
                63 Avanti R1 R4551
                63 Avanti R1 R2281
                62 GT Hawk V15949
                56 GH 6032504
                56 GH 6032588
                55 Speedster 7160047
                55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Originally posted by 64studeavanti View Post
                  Flightomatic V8 transmissions normally start in 2nd gear.
                  Yeah, I realise that, but I have mentioned above that I flattened it to start, should drop to first with a full throttle start? Also, wondering at what speed in 3rd if pedal pushed down, should it kick back to 2nd on a flat road.
                  Last edited by Cus63; 07-27-2021, 02:58 AM.
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X