Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ralt12
    replied
    If you're going to replace the master, replace the flexible rubber hoses as well. What may look great on the outside can shock you on the inside. Cheap insurance.

Leave a comment:

• Rafe Hollister
    replied
    Hmmm, I could try to install a master cylinder from my old pile of motorcycle brake parts, and then cancel my eBay order. Yes, that's what I shall do! CASO forever!
    Rafe

Leave a comment:

• Dwight FitzSimons
    replied
    Originally posted by Rafe Hollister View Post
    I sure hope I don't lose my CASO status?
    Rafe
    Be aware that you've just been put on notice. One more infraction and you will be put on probation.
    -Dwight

Leave a comment:

• Rafe Hollister
    replied
    Normally my CASO self would have disassembled the MC, cleaned it, massaged the seals, reinstalled it. If that didn't work I would have just bought minimal parts. But I love this car so I splurged on a 39.00 Dorman MC from eBay. I sure hope I don't loose my CASO status?
    Thanks for advice,
    Rafe

Leave a comment:

• bensherb
    replied
    If you can get a new master for $40 , great! But lately I've found stuff that was $20 to $40 last year, or even a couple months ago, is now $60 to $80. A coupe weeks ago, a master that was $23 when I bid the job three weeks earlier cost me $58.

For my Hawk I got new generic rubber piston cups at Napa for a buck each that did the job, but if your master bore is anything but absolutely smooth don't bother, they won't last long.

Leave a comment:

• Ross
    replied
    They fit MANY different cars and other machines. Rockauto will offer you several different brands.

Leave a comment:

• skyway
    replied
    I seem to remember that these MC’s had/have an industrial (TowMotor?) application; lucky us!

Leave a comment:

• Dwight FitzSimons
    replied
    ebay. I bought one off ebay some time ago for my 64 Hawk and it was 40-some dollars.
    -Dwight

Leave a comment:

• Rafe Hollister
    replied
    Thanks for info. 40 bucks for master cylinder? Where do I call/order?
    Yest Stude1964 and DwianG, gentle pedal pressure and it goes to floor. Hard pressure and it works OK.
    Rafe

Leave a comment:

• stude1964
    replied
    Ross has a point. The MC is readily available as is the rebuilding kit.
    Rob in PA.

Leave a comment:

• Ross
    replied
    New masters for that car can be had for forty-odd dollars. Hardly worth further discussion about rebuilding.

Leave a comment:

• Dwain G.
    replied
    I believe you are correct; the master cylinder needs an overhaul or replacement. This is a typical symptom of worn seals when you press the pedal for a normal stop and it just keeps going down. The reaction is to release and stomp the pedal which helpsthe seals expand out a bit and seal. Test this by applying the brakes and then holding pressure on pedal. It will slowly sink to the floor.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    The "Other" possibility is; you have NO Pedal "Free Travel" or a missing Pedal Pullback Spring.

Leave a comment:

• stude1964
    replied
    You might want to bleed and check that there is no air in there. Does it go to floor with minimal pressure in park? Could be air or need for a kit.
    Rob in PA.

Leave a comment:

• doofus
    replied
    My experience has been when a M/C "Bypasses" like this it is rust pitted. a rebuild will help but a new one is much better. shop around and find a good deal then pull the old one and take it apart and look for your self. Luck Doofus

Leave a comment:

Working...
X