Master cylinder seals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Master cylinder seals?

Just recently my 56 P Hawk started having brake problems. If I brake hard, it stops OK. If I brake gently, the pedal oozes right to the floor. But if I pump them once and push hard, they work again. I'm assuming its master cylinder seals. Am I probably correct? What else could it be? Where can I get parts (I'm hoping they are the same as some Chevy/Ford/Chrysler so I can get them at local auto parts)?
    Thanks,
    Thom

My experience has been when a M/C "Bypasses" like this it is rust pitted. a rebuild will help but a new one is much better. shop around and find a good deal then pull the old one and take it apart and look for your self. Luck Doofus

Comment

You might want to bleed and check that there is no air in there. Does it go to floor with minimal pressure in park? Could be air or need for a kit.
      Rob in PA.

Comment

The "Other" possibility is; you have NO Pedal "Free Travel" or a missing Pedal Pullback Spring.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I believe you are correct; the master cylinder needs an overhaul or replacement. This is a typical symptom of worn seals when you press the pedal for a normal stop and it just keeps going down. The reaction is to release and stomp the pedal which helpsthe seals expand out a bit and seal. Test this by applying the brakes and then holding pressure on pedal. It will slowly sink to the floor.
          "Burning Bridges...Lost Forevermore"......

Comment

New masters for that car can be had for forty-odd dollars. Hardly worth further discussion about rebuilding.

Comment

Ross has a point. The MC is readily available as is the rebuilding kit.
              Rob in PA.

Comment

Thanks for info. 40 bucks for master cylinder? Where do I call/order?
                Yest Stude1964 and DwianG, gentle pedal pressure and it goes to floor. Hard pressure and it works OK.
                Rafe

Comment

ebay. I bought one off ebay some time ago for my 64 Hawk and it was 40-some dollars.
                  -Dwight

Comment

I seem to remember that these MC’s had/have an industrial (TowMotor?) application; lucky us!

Comment

They fit MANY different cars and other machines. Rockauto will offer you several different brands.

Comment

If you can get a new master for $40 , great! But lately I've found stuff that was $20 to $40 last year, or even a couple months ago, is now $60 to $80. A coupe weeks ago, a master that was $23 when I bid the job three weeks earlier cost me $58.

For my Hawk I got new generic rubber piston cups at Napa for a buck each that did the job, but if your master bore is anything but absolutely smooth don't bother, they won't last long.

Comment

Normally my CASO self would have disassembled the MC, cleaned it, massaged the seals, reinstalled it. If that didn't work I would have just bought minimal parts. But I love this car so I splurged on a 39.00 Dorman MC from eBay. I sure hope I don't loose my CASO status?
                          Thanks for advice,
                          Rafe

Comment

Originally posted by Rafe Hollister View Post
                            I sure hope I don't lose my CASO status?
                            Rafe
                            Be aware that you've just been put on notice. One more infraction and you will be put on probation.
                            -Dwight

Comment

Hmmm, I could try to install a master cylinder from my old pile of motorcycle brake parts, and then cancel my eBay order. Yes, that's what I shall do! CASO forever!
                              Rafe

Comment

Working...
                              X