I have a 53 sedan that hasn't been painted under the hood
    and it has the grease pencil markings. This was common on
    many cars as far back as 49 I know.

Tex E. Grier

Leave a comment:

• JDP
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by winchesterhawk

I will try and post some pics of the lettering if I can get them to show up . I guess this was a loaded car when built, 160 MPH speedo, factory tack, radio, clock, T/T, 3spd od, dual exhaust .

I was not aware that a 160 MH speedo was a factory option on a 60 Hawk ?

JDP/Maryland

Leave a comment:

• winchesterhawk
    replied
    I will try and post some pics of the lettering if I can get them to show up . I guess this was a loaded car when built, 160 MPH speedo, factory tack, radio, clock, T/T, 3spd od, dual exhaust .

Leave a comment:

• jclary
    replied
    I have a rather low mileage 51 land cruiser with an assembly line number still on the firewall under the hood. If I can summon up enough energy and time, I'll see if I can get a picture to post if anyone is interested.
    [img][/img]

John Clary
    Greer, SC
    SDC member since 1975

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    We have noted that Studebaker line workers marked the Clutch or Converter housings, and the firewalls with the line number, and the outer left frame rail with the Body Type and Model to help match it to the correct Body, so it is quite possible some were marked with something on the roof, maybe Paint Color.

'60 Hawk bodies had very few peculiarities to be noted on Assy. I can think of Trans type and Air Cond. that's about it!

So far nobody has found one or mentioned it, that I have seen here or heard of yet.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA

Leave a comment:

• JLasvegas
    replied
    I had a few older Impala's and they had grease pencil on the firewall from the factory

1964 Daytona Wagonaire
    259cid flight o matic

Leave a comment:

• Swifster
    replied
    I've seen similar on other makes. Ford did something simialer on the firewall. After a while the writing would bleed thru the paint.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Leave a comment:

• winchesterhawk
    started a topic Lettering on the roof

Lettering on the roof

Did Studebaker hand write on the roof area as the cars were being built ( before Painting ). I have a 60 hawk with 58K miles and original paint. I've noticed in the roof area above the drip molding under certain lights, I can read 60 and some other letters I cant make out. It appears to be 2 rows of numbers and letters that seams its bleeding through the paint.
Working...
X