Avanti with 4-speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch / Torque Converter: Avanti with 4-speed

I was just thinking, is there anything that should be lubed on the hanging pedal assembly? LOL..............after 53 years I now wake up and think of this :-)

I believe the shaft has nylon bushing on it ,it will let you know when they need replacement. if it squawks the bushing is worn thru. the Help line at a flaps will have them. Luck Doofus

Comment

Originally posted by doofus View Post
      I believe the shaft has nylon bushing on it ,it will let you know when they need replacement. if it squawks the bushing is worn thru. the Help line at a flaps will have them. Luck Doofus
      Thank you!..........Btw, very little up "north" is friendly:-(.........

Comment

Originally posted by doofus View Post
        Would you please tell me the part number, looking in the Avanti parts book I can not find this nylon bushing;-(

Comment

All Studebaker Vendors should have the S.I. Catalog, Page 232, 1543914; '61 To '66 Lark and Avanti Nylon Clutch Shaft Bushing, (2) Per.

https://studebakervendors.com
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Same nylon pivot bushings as the brake pedals, and supercharger tension arm. Available from the "help" section at your neighborhood F.L.A.P.S. Many cars used them.
            Bez Auto Alchemy
            573-318-8948
            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

While on the lift, is there anything to be 'bathed' in oil?...........shop manual claims that clutch linkage needs to be sprayed with oil. In the past I only sprayed lithium grease on the shift rods.

Comment

There is a grease fitting on the bellhousing for the clutch shaft.
                Bez Auto Alchemy
                573-318-8948

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                  There is a grease fitting on the bellhousing for the clutch shaft.
                  Brad I do that, indeed ten years ago when I replaced the clutch and some other parts, I was told by the shop owner to go easy with the lube gun in the future............seems lots of grease walked along and was deposited inside the bell housing. But the shop manual claims that shift linkage needs to be 'oiled'

Comment

Oiling the Linkage is a different thing than the Clutch Housing cross shaft Bushing grease fitting.
                    Linkage involves all the junctions between Clevis's, Pins, Rods, and Shafts External to the Clutch Housing.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                      Oiling the Linkage is a different thing than the Clutch Housing cross shaft Bushing grease fitting.
                      Linkage involves all the junctions between Clevis's, Pins, Rods, and Shafts External to the Clutch Housing.
                      That is what I assumed, in the past I pumper far too much grease into that cross shaft bushing zerk fitting

Comment

I have seen bell housings with copious grease inside them, but never any evidence of it getting on the clutch facings. One thing you can do, especially if you have a "heavy duty" clutch: on the Later lark and Avanti models there is a short linkage rod between the bottom of the clutch bell crank and the lever on the operating shaft. This rod gets pushed, not pulled, and is subject to bending. The rod end is bent 90 degrees, and the push is off-axis. Find a pair of clevises as used on the linkage rods for column-shift cars, and make up a short threaded rod to join them, and use clevis pins to connect the clevises to the levers. Very simple fab to make a much stronger part.
                        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

There is also the spring steel ball pivot on the cross shaft that should be GREASED. (Opposite the bellhousing end) Make sure the boot is in good shape. Also make sure there are no cracks in the spring steel, and around the rivets of the boot cup. Also that the ball itself is tight in it's holder. There is a flat on the ball threads which keeps it from turning as you tighten the retaining nut. Oh, and by the way....lubrication includes grease Rich...just saying.
                          Bez Auto Alchemy
                          573-318-8948

Comment

Originally posted by gordr View Post
                            I have seen bell housings with copious grease inside them, but never any evidence of it getting on the clutch facings. One thing you can do, especially if you have a "heavy duty" clutch: on the Later lark and Avanti models there is a short linkage rod between the bottom of the clutch bell crank and the lever on the operating shaft. This rod gets pushed, not pulled, and is subject to bending. The rod end is bent 90 degrees, and the push is off-axis. Find a pair of clevises as used on the linkage rods for column-shift cars, and make up a short threaded rod to join them, and use clevis pins to connect the clevises to the levers. Very simple fab to make a much stronger part.
                            James Frakes spoke and diagrammed just what you are speaking about.

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                              There is also the spring steel ball pivot on the cross shaft that should be GREASED. (Opposite the bellhousing end) Make sure the boot is in good shape. Also make sure there are no cracks in the spring steel, and around the rivets of the boot cup. Also that the ball itself is tight in it's holder. There is a flat on the ball threads which keeps it from turning as you tighten the retaining nut. Oh, and by the way....lubrication includes grease Rich...just saying.
                              Call out diagram number?

Comment

Working...
                              X