No announcement yet.

Avanti with 4-speed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch / Torque Converter: Avanti with 4-speed.

So here is a potential cautionary tale, at least it was for me looking back. Going over repair receipts recently that cover the last 50 plus years I came upon the following which brought back some memories. One was the replacement of clutch release shaft and levers p/n 1560028. It turns out that the shaft that was to be replaced had the levers pull away from the shaft itself, resulting in levers that would just spin around. Not wanting to suffer that ignominious fate again, before putting in the new shaft I had both levers stitch welded (360 degrees) to make spinning an impossibility. I did one other thing...........the standard operating shaft sleeve pins (inner and outer) p/n's 42X116 and 1563268...I tossed in the garbage as they were bent;-(...............I replaced both of them with grade 8 bolts, drilled to accept the cotter pins. No other problems. I also replaced the standard bellcrank rod with the new improved stronger variety. I am happy to say that no additional problems were ever experienced during the last 40 years.

Good advice. Any time the bellhousing is removed from a Studebaker V8, all the above should be mandatory.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

Agree, that is good advice, and also agree it should be mandatory to weld those splined fingers to the shaft, if ever accessible for other reasons. As for the sleeve pins, I have never sheared pain, but broke several of the sleeves themselves, when I ran HD clutches in Hawks back in the day. I stopped using HD clutches long ago, and all related linkage problems disappeared same time. I currently have a diaphragm clutch in the 62GT, for about 50,000 miles now, and no problems whatsoever. It is for 70s-80s vintage GM of some sort, if I recall. Comparing diaphragm to B&B style, it's six of one and half dozen of the other. But NO more HD clutches for me, ever, they are also much harder on the left leg, when caught in heavy traffic.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
        Agree, that is good advice, and also agree it should be mandatory to weld those splined fingers to the shaft, if ever accessible for other reasons. As for the sleeve pins, I have never sheared pain, but broke several of the sleeves themselves, when I ran HD clutches in Hawks back in the day. I stopped using HD clutches long ago, and all related linkage problems disappeared same time. I currently have a diaphragm clutch in the 62GT, for about 50,000 miles now, and no problems whatsoever. It is for 70s-80s vintage GM of some sort, if I recall. Comparing diaphragm to B&B style, it's six of one and half dozen of the other. But NO more HD clutches for me, ever, they are also much harder on the left leg, when caught in heavy traffic.
        Joe since 1967 I have replaced the clutch exactly two times, and both times used the standard non HD variety...and glad I did, stop and go traffic here is killer, as are the morons who ride the cars ass, never realizing my car could roll back on hills! The car did have a HH at one point, but stopped working, and I could find not one person ( not even Jon Myer) who knew how to fix it;-( Oh one other thing brings a smile now to my well worn face. Years ago traveling from Long Island back down to the Jersey Shore I became entangled in late afternoon traffic which was already chocked with all manner of trucks. I became quite lazy and just started to ride the clutch so I would not have to make hundreds of shifts..........well stupid was "I". I heated up the clutch to a point whereby I could no longer shift the trans!.........bumper to bumper traffic all around, and me stuck in the middle lane with horns-a blasting! I sat there as my JC Penney briefs began to take on a marked brown patina!!!! Thankfully about ten minutes later the plate had cooled to a point of allowing me to effectuate a shift...........and I did.....lesson learned........never ride the clutch.

Comment

Working...
        X