Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Park lights

51 Champion
    Park lights don’t come on, they did a couple days ago.
    I replaced a bulb on the dashboard …. And turn the lights on and noticed the park lights were not on. Is there a way to check the headlight switch?

Do all the other lights work when they're supposed to? The parking lamps should only illuminate on the first click of the headlight switch (unlike modern cars where they're on when any other lights are on).

Since the parking lights stopped working right after you replaced a bulb on the dashboard, my guess would be that you pulled the parking lamp wire off its post on the headlight switch. It's also possible that the HL switch has partly worn out. Sometimes they can be carefully disassembled and their contents cleaned up. But they have to be removed first.
    Skip Lackie

Comment

Thank you , I will take a look at the switch and see if I pulled off any wire.

Comment

I agree with Skip. Most likely a disconnected wire.
        Studebaker! If you're lucky enough to own one, you're lucky enough!!!

Comment

Don’t see anything not connected

Comment

Comment

Is there a diagram for the switch? I can’t find anything on line. I know it is a mess under there and it is a long shot.
              But thank you anyway.

Comment

Check your ground wire to the instrument panel. I forgot to do that and the same thing happened.

Comment

Grab your test light and see if you're getting power from the P terminal on your headlamp switch; it should be a green wire. As stated above, this circuit only has power in the first position of the switch, and parking lights will extinguish when headlamps are on... parking lights receive power from the same internal switch contact as headlamps, which are fed by the H terminal through a red and black wire. Tail lamps and Instrument lamps both receive power in both the Head and Park positions; Black and yellow to Tail, and Black to Instrument.

I don't have a diagram handy right now.
                  Whirling dervish of misinformation.

Comment

Here is a wiring diagram: https://www.studebakerparts.com/stud...es/51-wire.jpg
                    3H-C5 "The Blue Goose"

Comment

Update on my parking lights…..
                      Got the test light and started testing…..
                      And I had power green wire, so took the head light trim rings off and checked for power on the park lights, and I did. There was water in both.
                      have to get new bulbs and sockets and gaskets for the lenses.
                      Thanks everyone
                      Mr. K

Comment

Working...
                      X