No fuel pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: No fuel pressure

The other day I lost all fuel pressure in my '51 champion with 169" Flathead 6. I replaced the fuel pump with another one i had on hand and it didnt fix the problem. I even took it apart to make sure the valves and bladder were looking good and working. I've also checked the lines for blockages and found nothing. Could be something having to do with the lobe on the camshaft? the engine was running fine and the cut so it definitely didn't wear down.
    (sorry for typos, I'm exhausted)

It's also worth mentioning also that this problem has occured before, however those other times i just took the pump apart and reinstalled it and it worked.

Comment

In this case, I would hook a reliable vacuum hand pump onto the line coming from the tank to test it. You can also actuate the fuel pump by hand when removed from the engine. Have a close look at all flexible hoses and hard ones too. Did this occur on a very hot day?
      sigpic

Comment

Stupid idea, but is the tank empty? I spent two hours with my brother chasing a fuel problem on his motorcycle. Just short of pulling the tank, not easy on a TDM! I asked him when he last filled it. He said a week ago and only ridden 100 miles, "it can't be out of gas!". Well, that TDM sucks gas like a big block. That's what it was. I also went through this on my old Dodge van. Changed the fuel pump since no fuel was coming up and I added 5 gallons. Well, someone cut my fuel line back at the tank and siphoned all my gas out. Replaced the line and all was good.

Comment

Originally posted by Topper2011 View Post
          Stupid idea, but is the tank empty? I spent two hours with my brother chasing a fuel problem on his motorcycle. Just short of pulling the tank, not easy on a TDM!
          TDM? Maybe Totally Demonic Motorcycle?

Paul
          Winston-Salem, NC
          Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

I think that I would try blowing air from the fuel pump back to the tank. There may be crud built up at the tank outlet that is not letting the fuel flow. The other way to check that would be to run a short hose from the fuel pump to a quart bottle of gas and see if it picks up fuel. Good Luck with it.

Comment

The flexible fuel line from the frame to the engine can develop tiny cracks. These cracks can be small enough to suck air, but not show any external leaks.
              RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
              10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
              10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
              4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
              5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
              56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
              60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Does it lose pressure only when hot? If so, it may be vapor lock related. If when cold and/or hot, it may be a pinhole in the fuel line, or clogged fuel line. Clog is easy to check, as others have described, by blowing back through the line. Alternately, you can seal your mouth over the gas tank filler (if accessible) and blow into it, and see if fuel freely flows out of the fuel pump inlet line. Pinholes are a bit harder to detect, but you could also use a gas can, located above the fuel pump. Sometimes, if in doubt, it's easier to just replace the line, end to end. If so, use the conifer line that is available nowadays, and easily bendable for easier installation.

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post

TDM? Maybe Totally Demonic Motorcycle?
                  https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/mo...dm850%2093.htm

AKA a TeDiuM. A bit of a collectible. Unfortunately, it was totaled a few weeks later and my brother ended up catching an ambulance ride to the hospital.

Comment

Conifer line? What is that?
                    Studebaker! If you're lucky enough to own one, you're lucky enough!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Al from Eatonville View Post
                      Conifer line? What is that?
                      Al, I believe he is referring to copper-nickel brake line. There is a registered brand name of that tubing by the name of Cunifer: https://www.cunifer.com/#jump

Conifer is a type of tree I believe. Spell check may have changed it to conifer.
                      Last edited by r1lark; 07-22-2021, 05:42 PM.
                      Paul
                      Winston-Salem, NC
                      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Thank you. Now makes sense.
                        Studebaker! If you're lucky enough to own one, you're lucky enough!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X