245 breather tube questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 245 breather tube questions.

I needed to properly reposition a vacuum line due to a previous owner's workaround. A closed collar supporting the vacuum line happened to be held in place by the mounting bolt for the engine breather tube (below manifold, near transmission). After exhausting less invasive options I finally removed the breather tube bolt. That sucker is 5.5" long with a pointy tip that looks like it may serve a specialized application. Now I'm nervous I may have fiddled with something I shouldn't have.

Why is the bolt so long and what does it meet at the far end? Is there any problem with putting it back in or is there more to consider? Finally, I notice a cotter pin holds in filter material near the lower end of the breather tube; is the filter just steel wool?

That is the correct fitment for the bolt. The threaded hole in which it fits is way down in the block. It is pointy on the end to help align and get it into the the threaded hole. Clean and oil the threads before you put it back into place. You may have to fish around a little, but you should be able to feel it when it drops into the hole. You should be able to turn it by finger to start and snug it. Be careful not to cross thread and ruin it.

The filter material used in the breather tube should be a very course (stainless) steel such as used to make scouring pads. It is held in place by the cotter pin so as to keep it in place and to allow it's removal (periodically) to be cleaned. While the discharge is normally down and out the tube, once in a while something likes to go up the tube and can cause blockage to occur. Down here in the deep South, we have dirt daubers (some call them mud daubers), that like to make mud nests in small dark places, like tubes. They have a tendency to plug up stuff, so we are continually checking and cleaning them out of stuff. We also never leave open fuel lines, or ports, because these fellas are pdq about nesting opportunities presented.

Bo

Comment

Thanks for putting my mind at ease, Bo, and the helpful information. Appreciate it.
      Last edited by Tipjar; 07-19-2021, 08:36 AM.

Comment

I would use a copper or stainless steel scrubbing ball with no soap in it for the filter.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
        10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
        56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
        60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
          I would use a copper or stainless steel scrubbing ball with no soap in it for the filter.
          Gee I dunno, if you use a Brillo pad, it could wash teh underside as you drive!
          Ron Dame
          '63 Champ

Comment

Working...
          X