Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hydrovac rebuilding

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Brakes: Hydrovac rebuilding

    Anyone in SDC have a recommendation as to who is best at rebuilding hydrovacs? Need to get mine done. Thx.

  • #2
    Lares Corp. is good. If there are kits, Most Good mechanics could do it. I can, and have in the past. Problems arise when the casting is corroded and ruined. Then sleeving is the only option or finding a better core. Most kits are also NOS, and old rubber and dried out leather seals. Actual rebuilding them is not the main concern.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com


    "Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

    Comment


    • #3
      I had a HydroVac for my '64 GT w/disc done by Rich at Midwest Power Brake in Homosassa, FL. after it was "rebuilt" by a well known vendor. He advertises in Hemmings and had the parts. His number is 352-419-4122. midwestbooster@sbcglobal.net.
      Rob in PA.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Bruce S View Post
        Anyone in SDC have a recommendation as to who is best at rebuilding hydrovacs? Need to get mine done. Thx.
        Considering the cost of the rebuild you might want to check out the new ones offered by Stude Intl. I have one and although they are off shore it has worked fine so far. I did keep my old core just in case but others on the forum are also using the new vacs and I haven't heard any complaints. So far...two years and counting. You pays your money and you takes your chances on these as there is no warranty and no spare parts as far as I know. Others might chime in with more user experiences.







































        Comment


        • #5
          I know Ed Stain used to do them, but he's been bought out by white post and they don't list the 63 with disc brakes as a rebuild option. Since I hadn't had any response to my post, I started hunting around since a lot of other makes and trucks used hydrovacs. I came up with this company that rebuilds your unit, 3 week turnaround. Dont' know if anyone heard of them. $345, rebuilt, domestic. What do you guys think? By the way, what is the exact name/model of hydrovac this car uses?
          Brake Materials and parts, fort wayne indiana.
          http://www.BrakeMaterialsAndParts.com

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Bruce S View Post
            I know Ed Stain used to do them, but he's been bought out by white post and they don't list the 63 with disc brakes as a rebuild option. Since I hadn't had any response to my post, I started hunting around since a lot of other makes and trucks used hydrovacs. I came up with this company that rebuilds your unit, 3 week turnaround. Dont' know if anyone heard of them. $345, rebuilt, domestic. What do you guys think? By the way, what is the exact name/model of hydrovac this car uses?
            Brake Materials and parts, fort wayne indiana.
            http://www.BrakeMaterialsAndParts.com
            If you decide to go with this shop, please let us know later how it turned out. Also, is your HV for drum, or disc braked Stude Hawk? Thanks

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by E. Davis View Post

              Considering the cost of the rebuild you might want to check out the new ones offered by Stude Intl. I have one and although they are off shore it has worked fine so far. I did keep my old core just in case but others on the forum are also using the new vacs and I haven't heard any complaints. So far...two years and counting. You pays your money and you takes your chances on these as there is no warranty and no spare parts as far as I know.
              Ehh... Mebbe that would be an acceptable option, but then your last sentence... No warranty and no parts available (which says that they're either of a different design or a poor clone of the original)? And it looks like they want around 400 bones for one?

              Whirling dervish of misinformation.

              Comment


              • #8
                Clone of the original would be an apt description but whether it is poor or not remains to be seen. Most Chinese stuff is crap but I see people on here swearing by their electronic ignitions and other after market parts so I don't know. I have heard some bad results from rebuilds also so it is a tough decision. Probably a toss up either way. Good luck on what ever you decide.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I am now on the 2nd SI repro HV for Hawk disc brakes, on the wife's 63GT. The first one lasted about 5 years, and the second one has now been installed about 2 years. They both work perfect, till they don't. I did not bother to disassemble the last one to inspect, but have heard the push rod inside is the culprit. In original HVs, they were chrome plated, but not so with the repros, so they are prone to rust, which causes internal leakage problems.

                  I lost the original core (long story) so this is the only recourse I have.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Ed Strain is dead. I tried to contact the business after my HydroVac he rebuilt needed work. His business was sold to White Post but you may want to check my post to get your booster done correctly. My post is #3.
                    Rob in PA.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I've been speaking with the guy from Brake Materials and parts. He's been very nice. Seems like a mom and pop deal, older folks. He thinks its my master, not the booster. So I installed a master i bought from Dorman products, took out hte Rpv valve at the end of the spring and replaced it with a washer against the rubber washer the rpv valve seated against. Buttoning it up this week. We'll see if he was right. I'll let you know. By the way, does anyone know what the torque spec is for the bolts that hold the master to the frame. And also, the pedal spring... which hole is it supposed to go to, the upper or lower on on the pedal bracket? I think it the upper one.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X