1950 Commander water pump problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: 1950 Commander water pump problem

On my '50 Commander, the mounting flange for the water pump pulley is too far onto the shaft, which sticks out perhaps 3/16" past the flange. What's the best way to get the flange flush with the shaft? I've tried a gear puller but I don't want to distort the flange. A pickle fork behind the flange didn't help, either. Help!
    Chip
    '63 Cruiser
    '57 Packard wagon
    '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
    '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

New water pump? If you put the pulley on it, is the belt misaligned? If that is the case, and the pump is new, return it, once you have contacted the vendor. If the belt is not misaligned, I fail to see a problem. If the belt is misaligned, you could make a spacer to bring the pulley out to the correct plane. The way to shift the flange on its shaft is to support the flange by its hub only in a hydraulic press, and then push on the end of the shaft with the ram of the press. As you can imagine, it will be tough to arrange adequate support with the body of the pump in the way.
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

The pump pulley is behind the generator pulley. In fact it rubs on the body of the water pump.
      Chip
      '63 Cruiser
      '57 Packard wagon
      '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	waterpump.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	1903615 Click image for larger version

Name:	pulleys.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	1903616 Here's the end of the shaft of the water pump and also the water pump, generator, and crank pulleys. I aligned them the best that I could. It seems the crank pulley is too far back, too.
        Chip
        '63 Cruiser
        '57 Packard wagon
        '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Is the crank pulley supposed to be against the harmonic balancer or off like it is in the picture?
          Chip
          '63 Cruiser
          '57 Packard wagon
          '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Maybe you got a water pump that was for theCommander Six engines when installed in 1960 Champ Pickups. That application was very specific and had the flange location very rear-ward.

Comment

Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
              Maybe you got a water pump that was for theCommander Six engines when installed in 1960 Champ Pickups. That application was very specific and had the flange location very rear-ward.
              I wasn't aware, good information. Thanks.
              Chip
              '63 Cruiser
              '57 Packard wagon
              '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
                Would you know the height of those pulleys? The one from my Commander is 3 9/16". If the one you refer to is shorter then that's the issue and swapping the pulleys should fix the problem.
                Chip
                '63 Cruiser
                '57 Packard wagon
                '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Working...
                X