1953 Commander Coupe Thermostat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: 1953 Commander Coupe Thermostat

Forgive me for asking what might seem like a dumb question. The shop manual does not appear to state what thermostat is best for my car, and the SI catalog lists 3 - 160, 170, and 180 degrees. My car is running fine although I have no idea what thermostat is in there now; but I want to get a spare for that day when I'll need one. My car has about 17,000 miles on a professionally rebuilt engine, and the engine runs cool. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
    Studebaker! If you're lucky enough to own one, you're lucky enough!!!

I would run the 180. They are all wide open at the temp designed, but engines run a little more efficient at higher temps.

Comment

Thank you for that insight. I do appreciate you taking the time to give me your advice and the reason behind it.

Comment

In the old days we changed thermostats spring and fall. A 160 degree tor summer and a 180 degree for winter. Since we do not us our cars in the winter, I would use a 160 degree thermostat. Newer cars are designed for higher temps. That is not necessarily true for vintage carbureted engines. Vapor lock is enough of a problem nowadays with the crap gas we must use so why increase the opportunity for it??

Comment

Factory install was a 170 degree thermostat.
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948
          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Thank you everyone for your advice and insight. Much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
            X