Power brake booster vs changing spark plug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Power brake booster vs changing spark plug

Hello membes, while changing the spark plugs on my Avanti R2, do any of you remove the power brake booster to access the spark plug closet to the fire wall? Or, like me does the abundance of language and swivel adapters help?
    Afterwards, the idea of changing wires was initially good. Having a pre made set from my best guy Dave Thibeault, I then suceeded that event easily except for the lower washer and nut; drivers side, on the stainless steel shield.. That was a major run of adjectives.
    thanks,
    Mark

It can be done with just the right socket swivel and extension.

Comment

I have a set of these double swivel sockets. I got them for the back side of transverse mounted V-6s, but they work great for many locations. These are Snap-on, not sure if there are cheaper versions.

Comment

Removal of the power brake booster is not necessary and no special tools are needed to remove any of the spark plugs on an Avanti engine. I've been changing the plugs on the drivers side of my Avanti engine with nothing but a flex head 3/8ths ratchet and 13/16ths socket. It's a tight fit but easily doable. Bud

Comment

Didn’t one of Ron Hall’s earlier Bonneville weeks end badly due to failure of a hard to reach spark plug?

Comment

Sorry for the delayed response. Work is consuming at times, and the last few weeks...............yup. I did check with my snap on guy and have not found that double swivel. I am using an extension with a "wooble" & the socket swivel for the plugs.

thanks a lot guys
            Mark

Comment

Originally posted by skyway View Post
              Didn’t one of Ron Hall’s earlier Bonneville weeks end badly due to failure of a hard to reach spark plug?
              I don't think Ron Halls issue at Bonneville had anything to do with "hard to reach", he simply built so much compression with the Supercharger at a very high sustained RPM that the Ceramic Blew right out of the Steel Casing.

On a 180 to 200 MPH Race Car, you don't neglect something because it's hard to do.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

This thread makes me think of something from 40 years ago. A well known Studebaker repair facility was tasked with changing the plugs in my Avanti. Sometime later I discovered that my car was now customized, seems that the supply of J-12Y champ plugs was problematic, no problem, just put in a lawn mower plug. Can't make S like this up, glad that shop has been deep sixth:-(

Comment

Originally posted by Bud View Post
                  Removal of the power brake booster is not necessary and no special tools are needed to remove any of the spark plugs on an Avanti engine. I've been changing the plugs on the drivers side of my Avanti engine with nothing but a flex head 3/8ths ratchet and 13/16ths socket. It's a tight fit but easily doable. Bud
                  What helps is a Snap-On "S" shaped handle with a swivel head.

Comment

Working...
                  X