Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

6” wide wheels that will work with Lark hubcaps - Any ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels / Tires: 6” wide wheels that will work with Lark hubcaps - Any ideas?

I’d like to run the stock dog bowl hubcaps on my ‘63 Lark, but I’m not a fan of the stock 4.5” wide wheels. I want new 6” wide wheels.

Anyone have a potential solution?

Matt, I just picked up these Ranger wheels for free and they have holes which I think can be used to attach the stock poverty cap clips. I've always liked that look.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P7080832.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	1902389

Comment

Hey Matt....I bought new wheels from Vintages for my Wagonaire and used VW spring clips to hold the dog dish caps in place.

https://vwparts.aircooled.net/Hubcap...11-698-131.htm

Not sure if these were the ones I used....they have several styles available
      Bill Foy
      1000 Islands, Ontario
      1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

All my Studes are running '54-'56 Packard Clipper wheels. They are 5.5" wide and accept the bottlecaps.

Comment

The spring clips may be the easiest way to go. Thanks Bill.

Ross.. I have no idea where to source a set of ‘55 Packard wheels. But my preference would be new manufacture. I gave up on trying to deal with old wheels that are almost always rusty, bent, cracked, etc.

Long ago, someone told me there was a wheel manufacturer on the west coast that would take the center out of an old wheel and install it into a new rim. Can’t remember the name of the place, though.
          Last edited by mbstude; 07-09-2021, 03:33 AM.

Comment

Found it! “Wheel widening”:

http://www.stocktonwheel.com/powder_coat.html

Comment

Looks like a great service, (wheel widening). I have a few good artillery style wheels that have the wrong centers. Looks like they could make them in to whatever I want.

Comment

Originally posted by tsenecal View Post
                Looks like a great service, (wheel widening). I have a few good artillery style wheels that have the wrong centers. Looks like they could make them in to whatever I want.
                Yes, No, Maybe. Stockton Wheel has been around forever and does good work, but has gone through ups/downs/ins/outs. Sometimes they answer the phone; sometimes they don't. Sometimes they're taking on custom builds; sometimes they aren't. The one sure and certain is their prices will be higher than the last time they did the same work.

jack vines

P.S. - every time the discussion of custom built wheels comes up, an owner of a '49-'56 E11-12 thinks about having a one-piece rim welded to the original centers so he can have tubeless tires mounted at the corner tire shop.

The 16" drop-center rim is much smaller ID than the two-piece rim. The OEM centers will have to be cut down so much to mate with the drop center rim. the result no longer resembles the original. Doesn't bother some people.

jv - forty years still running the two-piece wheels.
                Last edited by PackardV8; 07-09-2021, 10:26 AM.
                PackardV8

Comment

If Stockton Wheel, doesn't work out, you might try Pete Paulsen motorsports, in French Camp, Ca. I had wheels done by both years ago, they're both local to me. Stockton wheel is about 26 miles away, six miles further than Paulsen.

Comment

Originally posted by bensherb View Post
                    If Stockton Wheel, doesn't work out, you might try Pete Paulsen motorsports, in French Camp, Ca. I had wheels done by both years ago, they're both local to me. Stockton wheel is about 26 miles away, six miles further than Paulsen.
                    Thanks, I’ll look into it.

Stockton didn’t answer the phone yesterday (tried multiple times throughout the day) and I’m finding a lot more negative reviews online than positive.

Comment

Matt
                      I don't know a thing about these guys but you might look into them.

https://weldcraftwheels.com/

Bob

Comment

The previous owner of my E-12 had new rims put on the original centers. I think there are a lot of places that will do this kind of work. Just check around. Wasn't cheap, but it's done. Many (most? ) like the original 3/4 ton wheels, but I would prefer hubcaps.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5933.JPG Views:	0 Size:	110.1 KB ID:	1902624 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5935.JPG Views:	0 Size:	138.9 KB ID:	1902625 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5934.JPG Views:	0 Size:	105.9 KB ID:	1902626 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5932.JPG Views:	0 Size:	79.8 KB ID:	1902627
                        EDIT: I just checked the web address. They no longer own it.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by kurtruk; 07-10-2021, 09:11 AM.
                        KURTRUK
                        (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                        X