Door lock issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: Door lock issue

1946 Champion, original lock, with new key made by locksmith after original key could not be located.
    Door key will lock the door just fine. Return key to neutral position and key comes out just fine.
    When unlocking, the key turns easily to unlock position and door handle is unlocked.
    Problem- Returning key to neutral position after unlocking re-locks the door.
    I have lubed the key and tried everything I know. Is it something in the tumbler or in the door lock mechanism?
    Any help appreciated.
    UPDATE-
    What solved this issue for me was to invert the lock cylinder. I think I may have had it in the door upside down, but the slots in the door will allow it to be installed up or down When I turned the cylinder so that the large end of the keyslot was at the 6 o'clock position, the lock/unlock features now work normally. I don't quite understand HOW this made a difference but it did. Thanks for the responses.
    Last edited by TXCR13; 07-08-2021, 07:43 PM.

I'm sure wiser heads here can chime in on this. But, for what it's worth, I recently installed 2 new NOS door locks on my 1947 Champion.
    The basic components are the same, I believe.

I ran into a similar issue to what you describe on my passenger side lock. Turn key to lock position, all fine. Turn key to unlock position, also good. Returning key to neutral and the lock wants to engage again.

I did the following things and gained some improvement:

1. A good squirt of dry graphite in the lock mechanism. Eased up the function considerably. I assume you did that already when you said you "lubed the key?"
    2. Tried a few different orientations of the square "key rod" (that's the rod that inserts into the door latch mechanism) Some positions worked better than others.
    3. Removed and re-installed the lock cylinder holder clip inside the door. In my case, I actually put the original one back in place — the new replacement I bought had a slightly different curvature and didn't "hold" the lock cylinder against the door skin very well and allowed the whole lock cylinder to rotate slightly.

If you've already tried the above, I guess we'll have to see what the rest of the forum might recommend?

Good luck!
    Michael (mbhdesign)
    mbhdesign -

Michael Hennessey
    Proud Owner
    1947 Studebaker Champion Regal Deluxe Convertible

Comment

Oh, and you might get more results posting this in "Tech Talk" — Perhaps the moderators would be able to shift this topic over there for you?
      mbhdesign -

Michael Hennessey
      Proud Owner

Comment

My first guess is that the lock isn’t “clocked” correctly relative to the latch.

To clarify.. If the latch was in the unlocked position, and the lock cylinder was in the locked position when you installed it, it won’t work.

Comment

Originally posted by mbhdesign View Post
          Oh, and you might get more results posting this in "Tech Talk" — Perhaps the moderators would be able to shift this topic over there for you?
          Thanks for mentioning that. I have posted a number of times in the past, and always in the "Tech Talk" section. Guess I got in a hurry and got off track. Agree the response would have been more numerous.

Comment

No problem! I’ve done the same.
            Any success to report? Crossing fingers for you.
            mbhdesign -

Michael Hennessey
            Proud Owner

Comment

Yep, it's fixed. See the update added to my original post.

Comment

Working...
              X