Distributor, enjoy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition: Distributor, enjoy

I did a quick search and didn't find anything about previous posting. Apologize for reposting if it's been mentioned.

For those that might be on the lookout for a "like new" distributor, look here -
    https://pertronixbrands.com/products...32316164341796

Mike

We have been using the new HEI one that is on ebay It is $220.00 with coil and wires.

Comment

And...that's fine..!
      This ISN'T...a competition !! Lighten up..! Ebay...sure, thing.

Just a heads up for a quality, adjustable, distributor for any one that needs one..!

Mike

Comment

I have an identical Pertronix distributor which was briefly in my Golden Hawk. Sold by Dave T - for over $400 I will sell for $125 shipped. The Pertronix module has been replaced with a new one. $150 with the plug wires. All basically new.

Comment

I’m pretty sure the Pertronix dist is what was copied to make the cheaper ones that are being sold on eBay.

Just for the sake of discussion;

The R2 Hawk that I recently (briefly) owned came to me with one of those knock-off eBay distributors. Soon after I bought the car, I had the engine running at idle in the shop and it suddenly dropped two cylinders. Did the usual tune up stuff with no improvement. Threw in an old points distributor, and it ran fine again.

The eBay knock-off distributor was essentially brand new, and already starting to fail. My short term experience didn’t give me a lot of confidence in its quality.

Comment

I just installed one of these in my Champion with a 289, so far, so good. Makes a huge difference in the idling and upper power curve, we can actually get the car out for a drive now. Dave T. has them for $5 less than buying direct from PerTronix but then you have to pay him for shipping.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post
              And...that's fine..!

Just a heads up for a quality, adjustable, distributor for any one that needs one..!

Mike
              Thanks for posting this , Mike .
              Bill H
              Daytona Beach
              SDC member since 1970
              Owner of The Skeeter Hawk .

Comment

Originally posted by shifter4 View Post

Thanks for posting this , Mike .
                Ditto. This is a very useful conversation for many of us. Otherwise, some of us will make some costly and time consuming mistakes.
                -Dwight

Comment

Thanks for the info Mike. I am sure Pertronics must have remedied the multitude of problems we had with their units in our shop 12-15 years ago(perhaps longer as I'm old and you know the memory thing). As for being Studebaker specific is probably a great thing especially having the ability to defeat the vacuum advance for us performance oriented folks. Do you know where they are manufactured? Let us know how you like it and your impression of the overall quality.
                  Cheers, Bill

Comment

It's nice to have one more option available. It also shows that there are still enough Studebaker V-8s out there, to make it worth their while putting it into production. I'm still on the fence when it comes to points/condenser vs electronic. Electronic is very reliable for the most part, but when they fail, you're dead in the water. Points/condenser could still be serviced along the roadside.

Comment

Originally posted by tsenecal View Post
                      It's nice to have one more option available. It also shows that there are still enough Studebaker V-8s out there, to make it worth their while putting it into production. I'm still on the fence when it comes to points/condenser vs electronic. Electronic is very reliable for the most part, but when they fail, you're dead in the water. Points/condenser could still be serviced along the roadside.
                      Well stated Tom. It just makes our Studebaker V8's like every other Brand X which we drive and have no choice but a tow when they quit.
                      Bill

Comment

I would not install one of those Chinese distributors, even if given to me. I recall early on, the advice was to swap in your original gear on the shaft. If that is necessary, what does it say about the rest of the distributor.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                          I would not install one of those Chinese distributors, even if given to me. I recall early on, the advice was to swap in your original gear on the shaft. If that is necessary, what does it say about the rest of the distributor.
                          Joe, my recollection of this was that the question was raised (by me, I think!) if we knew the material of the gear on the new offshore distributors. I don't remember any specific recommendations to replace those gears. I also have not heard of anyone having an issue with those gears, although probably not that many miles have been put on these distributors.

The one thing that I would suggest, based on another recent thread (link: https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....-advance-curve) on this forum, is to verify the advance curve (centrifugal and vacuum) that is set up in these distributors, and experiment to get the best curve for your car. This is where a Sun (or similar) distributor test machine would come in really handy!
                          Paul
                          Winston-Salem, NC
                          Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

It's good to see another option. Do you know if these units can be controlled by the fuel injection units many of us want to use? Such as the Holley and Fi-
                            Tech units.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post
                              And...that's fine..!

Mike
                              I was not trying to step on your toes. I was just stating what we are using. We had a pertronics in our R2 Lark. At 4500 rpm it would fall flat, stumble. Put a dual point distributor in. It now made it to 5200 before stumbling. Put in one of those new ones every is putting down. RPMs went over 6200 and was still going when we backed out. I
                              have installed 3 more with excellent results. Your experience may not be as mine. If there is a failure, I will eat crow and post for all to see. Jim.

Comment

Working...
                              X