• Engine: Water Pump ID

Gent's,
    Is this a Champion 6 water pump?

Click image for larger version

Name:	00T0T_8Iznf6nJknpz_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	1901851

It sure looks like it, even though the picture doesn't show the impeller and full gasket area. The grease fitting and large bearing area make me wonder if it's a truck or some sort of heavy duty pump, but hard to tell from the pic. Google "studebaker champion six cylinder water pump" and look at some various pictures and compare to yours.

(I know you didn't ask this.........but be aware that there are some differences in Champion water pumps over the years - especially the pulley size/position which means the hub position on the shaft changed.)
    Last edited by r1lark; 07-05-2021, 08:40 AM.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
      It sure looks like it, even though the picture doesn't show the impeller and full gasket area. The grease fitting and large bearing area make me wonder if it's a truck or some sort of heavy duty pump, but hard to tell from the pic. Google "studebaker champion six cylinder water pump" and look at some various pictures and compare to yours.

(I know you didn't ask this.........but be aware that there are some differences in Champion water pumps over the years - especially the pulley size/position which means the hub position on the shaft changed.)
      I will add some more pics. Thanks for your input.

Comment

These are the only other pics the seller provided. Hope they help ID it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	00g0g_f9K9pum6KTuz_0t20CI_600x450.jpg Views:	0 Size:	25.4 KB ID:	1901861 Click image for larger version  Name:	01616_hQIXs386VYVz_0t20CI_600x450.jpg Views:	0 Size:	28.4 KB ID:	1901860

Comment

r1lark, Because you mentioned truck/heavy duty could it be Commander 6?

Comment

No, they look way different. Google "Studebaker commander six water pump" and look at the pics.
            Paul
            Winston-Salem, NC
            Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Mark, is this for the 170 that's in your M-series truck and, if so, what is the engine number stamped in to the block, since I believe I remember you were changing the engine.
              "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10,
              '51 Commander Starlight,
              '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
              '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                Mark, is this for the 170 that's in your M-series truck and, if so, what is the engine number stamped in to the block, since I believe I remember you were changing the engine.
                Thank you for your response rockne10,

My previous engine change comments were derived from the fact that prior to the purchase of my '48 M15A-20, Thieves had plumaged the engine compartment leaving only the block, trans & manifolds. In addition to the engine component theft they also plumaged the brite-work, Inner fenders and LH radiator bulkhead panel. In the event the engine was no good (absent the head) I consulted Bo about my contemplated purchase of (2) Champ engines I came across for which the seller was asking $200 each. Bo confirmed the 1R block number on one was a truck engine and the '52 car engine were resonably priced at $200 @ but in true CASO fashion I offered the seller $150 each and he accepted. Both spin and have been dry stored since they were pulled. Had them freighted from Ohio to Georgia for another $160 but they arrived nice/dry/clean. I told Bo I'd like to have him build one good engine out of all of this if the logistics from GA to FL work out.

BTW, I'm in the process of purchasing all the "under-the-hood" sheet metal which was stolen from a gentleman on the TAPTALK Stude Truck site. Nice and dry from an M16 grain truck donor in KS..............Again freight included but my goal is to put this awesome truck back on the road again in "bone stock" original condition to include it's current well deserved patina.

As an after thought I would like to extend my thanks to RQ, Bob Kapteyn, Matt @ SA and so many others for all the help they have provided me with not only my 3G-Q project but my '48 M15A-20 restoration as well.

To all you far more "STUDE" knowledgable guy's out there (To include Andy at the Museum) I wish to extend my debt of gratitude for all your assistance over the years as I navigate through the manuals/blueprints/part resources to acheive my goals. I very much appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
                X