Door Lock Screws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: Door Lock Screws

I've been having troubles with worn out x-groves on many of the screws that holds the lock part on b & c pillars so I orderd a new bunch. Earlier I asked a fellow Studebaker pal who's been renovating Studebakers since the stone ages & he gave me the numbers. Maby it's different screws on 2-door hard tops than on 4-door sedans..?

This is what I got yesterday, the darker one is the old one & the length aint no problem as I can cut but look at this:

Click image for larger version  Name:	screws.JPG Views:	0 Size:	24.3 KB ID:	1901468
    So now I wonder what's the old one called in size as I need to order the correct screws? The thicker new one is called 1,4-20x1 as I understand. (whatever that means)

this is the company I order from & the screws available:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Skruv.PNG
Views:	236
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	1901469
    Last edited by Noxnabaker; 07-02-2021, 02:14 AM.
    sigpic

Josephine
    Champion V8
    4d sedan

don't guess, go to the nearest actual hardware store and have the thread gauge measured. or if there is a Bolt Supplier (Fastenal, etc.), those make a good contact.
    something like that should be in stock.

Comment

Nox, according to the body parts manual, the screws that hold the striker to the pillars on 1955 sedans and hardtops are No. 12-24x3/4" screws. This thread type is commonly referred to in the US as a 'machine screw'.

Here is an example in stainless from amazon.com: https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Mac...ts_id=16403531
      Last edited by r1lark; 07-02-2021, 06:48 AM. Reason: added "on 1955 sedans and hardtops"
      Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Nox-
        The numbers mean 1/4" diameter of the shaft, 20 threads per inch (USS "coarse"). and one inch long. The originals were SAE "fine" thread count, which would be 1/4-28x1. You may not be able to get them in Europe, but places that deal with automotive and industrial fasteners might have them.
        Skip Lackie

Comment

The company I got it from only sell inch threaded bolts, screws & nuts.
          Do all cars have the same size screws? I mean if it's a 4-door sedan the doors have less weight & might be the next size down compared to the screws holding a longer & heavier door from a hartop or coupe'..?
          & that might explain why I got the "wrong" info from my friend who's only worked on Hawks.

So what's the next size down from the ones I got?

sigpic

Josephine
          Champion V8
          4d sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
            Nox-
            The numbers mean 1/4" diameter of the shaft, 20 threads per inch (USS "coarse"). and one inch long. The originals were SAE "fine" thread count, which would be 1/4-28x1. You may not be able to get them in Europe, but places that deal with automotive and industrial fasteners might have them.
            Skip, maybe we are not talking about the fasteners for the same part? What I understood Nox to be asking about were the screws for the striker which attaches to the door pillars. See pic (click to enlarge) from Parts Manual with that item circled in red:

Name:	Striker1.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	1901497
            If this is the part he is trying to obtain screws for, the parts manual definitely shows them as No. 12-24x3/4" per my earlier post. Not trying to get into a controversy here, but would hate to see Nox order the wrong screws a second time!
            Paul
            Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

Originally posted by Noxnabaker View Post
              The company I got it from only sell inch threaded bolts, screws & nuts.
              Do all cars have the same size screws? I mean if it's a 4-door sedan the doors have less weight & might be the next size down compared to the screws holding a longer & heavier door from a hartop or coupe'..?
              & that might explain why I got the "wrong" info from my friend who's only worked on Hawks.

So what's the next size down from the ones I got?
              Nox, in 1955 the 4 door sedan, 2 door sedan, and C-K hardtop/coupe all used the same screw according to the parts manual, the No. 12-24x3/4" machine screw.

The next size down from a 1/4" machine screw is a No. 12 machine screw. These are still based on inch (not metric), but anything under 1/4" uses the 'number' designation. Here is a screen shot of a machine screw size chart:
              Click image for larger version  Name:	Machine Screws.jpg Views:	0 Size:	91.2 KB ID:	1901499
              Last edited by r1lark; 07-02-2021, 07:31 AM.
              Paul
              Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

Note also, they are OVAL HEAD.

Phillips Oval Head Machine Screw, #12-24 x 3/4"

Name:	OVAL.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	1901503

"All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10,
                '51 Commander Starlight,
                '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
                '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Yes, as I wrote in the first post it's the screws that holds the latch thing at the pillars.
                  (& I'm not into metric system on US, GB & old Volvo cars.)
                  If I understand that list corectly it's thicker downwards & narrower upwards as 12-24 is above 1/4-20?

Name:	screw sizes.PNG
Views:	180
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	1901505
                  sigpic

Josephine
                  Champion V8
                  4d sedan

Comment

I ordered a full set for my '55 Sedan from a Studebaker vendor. I did not need to know the part number, just the year, and model. They knew exactly what I needed. I believe I ordered from Studebaker International or Stephen Allens.
                    Ed Sallia
                    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Originally posted by Noxnabaker View Post

If I understand that list corectly it's thicker downwards & narrower upwards as 12-24 is above 1/4-20?
                      Yes, in the chart I posted, the diameters of the screws increase as you go down the chart.

Paul
                      Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

Well well... it seems that "my" company don't have 12-24 so I'll keep on seraching, I don't wanna wait for 3 months shipping time from the US...
                        Thanx a lot for all the help, I would be lost without this forum!

sigpic

Josephine
                        Champion V8
                        4d sedan

Comment

Nox, I just sent some parts to Australia that took less than 2 weeks. Why does shipping to your country take so much longer?
                          Paul
                          Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post

Skip, maybe we are not talking about the fasteners for the same part? What I understood Nox to be asking about were the screws for the striker which attaches to the door pillars. See pic (click to enlarge) from Parts Manual with that item circled in red:

If this is the part he is trying to obtain screws for, the parts manual definitely shows them as No. 12-24x3/4" per my earlier post. Not trying to get into a controversy here, but would hate to see Nox order the wrong screws a second time!
                            Paul- Thanks for catching that. Somehow I focused on the screw size Nox mentioned, rather than thinking about it long enough to realize that 1/4" screws would be too big for that application.
                            Last edited by Skip Lackie; 07-02-2021, 12:49 PM.
                            Skip Lackie

Comment

I don't have a clue Paul, but the shims from my pal in minneapolis, the bellcrank from Alan & so on just takes ages. Or maby it's lightend up some now & the mail people has gonne back to work vaccinated & such?
                              But then it's the bank busines too, difficult enough here in Sweden... & there must be someone here who have some laying around.
                              sigpic

Josephine
                              Champion V8
                              4d sedan

Comment

Working...
                              X