Is This The Correct Jack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: Is This The Correct Jack?

Hi all. This jack was in the trunk of my 62 GT. Is it the correct one? It also seems to be missing a hook piece.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P6210835.JPG
Views:	256
Size:	179.4 KB
ID:	1900086

Name:	P6210836.JPG
Views:	229
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	1900087

Name:	P6210837.JPG
Views:	230
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	1900088

Name:	P6210838.JPG
Views:	225
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	1900089

I've never owned a Gran Turismo but, many bumpers at that time had a small slot cut under the face of the bar itself that that little "hook" on your jack fits in to (I'm thinking Ford), so they would not have the "lip" you envision. It's a safer design, but not by much and, as I said, I don't know if the GT bumpers have that slot.

Name:	external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	1900102
    If the GT does not have the slot, at least you know what to look for on other vehicles that might be missing a jack.

Or, you could be correct and there is a part missing. The angle on that "hook" doesn't look like it would fit under a bumper.
    My guess is, I'm no help at all.
    Last edited by rockne10; 06-21-2021, 07:53 PM.
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10,
    '51 Commander Starlight,
    '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
    '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Illustrations of the different jack designs are in section 1812 of the 59-64 parts book. It would appear from those illustrations that you don't have the OEM 61-64 jack.
      Skip Lackie

Comment

Thanks guys.

Comment

The Shaft and Base are definitely ONE of the Brands and Styles Studebaker used, so the bumper attachment part may be the wrong Year.
          The '60's Car did not not have Notched Bumpers yet, they just hook under the shape of the Bumper.
          VERY many styles were used, and more than one in the same year.

Of course I am sure most of us know NONE of them are what you would EVER actually lift your Car with, on your $850.00 to $1000.00 Chrome.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
            The Shaft and Base are definitely ONE of the Brands and Styles Studebaker used, so the bumper attachment part may be the wrong Year.
            The '60's Car did not not have Notched Bumpers yet, they just hook under the shape of the Bumper.
            VERY many styles were used, and more than one in the same year.

Of course I am sure most of us know NONE of them are what you would EVER actually lift your Car with, on your $850.00 to $1000.00 Chrome.
            Thanks Rich. Those bumper jacks are pretty scary to use, I have. The way the GT's rear bumper is bolted on, is flimsy at best. It is only secured on one side of the frame. I've been thinking of getting spacers between the walls of the frame and use a longer bolt to attach to both sides of the frame. I'd rather use a scissor jack instead.

Comment

Using a Scissor, Screw or Hydraulic Bottle Type Jack and some Timber in the Trunk, if you ever have to raise the Body and Frame instead of Suspension, because of wrong offset Wheels and or Too Large a Tire Size will be MUCH Safer.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I've got the jack that came with my '62 GT . It must be correct, I used it on the side of the freeway when the front right tire blew. It worked, but I was wondering if it would ever lift the tire off the ground. It took a good portion of its lift before the bumper stopped moving and the body began to lift. That was five years ago and I don't remember exactly what it looks like. I'll try to remember to dig it out and take some pics.

Comment

They are right. Hawk bumper jacks are more rare than honest politicians--and about as useful as the majority of them! I used one --once. Don't try to use it. I have bumper jacks in the trunks but I like to Carry a decent scissors jack in case I need to change a tire. A bottle jack won't raise it enough. Coming back from a meet, our Packard had a flat. It was a warm day and the jack sank into the pavement about as much as it raised the car--it was just enough tho. So a 1' x 1' piece of 3/4" plywood might be a worth while addition to the trunk stuff.

Comment

Ok, I finally remembered to dig out my jack and take some pics. This is the jack that came with my '62 GT. The small hook on it fits the GT bumpers perfectly.

Name:	IMG_1745.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	1900949Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1746.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	1900950
                    The foot is 6"x6".

Name:	IMG_1747.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	1900951Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1749.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	1900955
                    This is how it's all mounted in the trunk.

Name:	IMG_1750.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	1900952Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1751.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	1900953

Name:	IMG_1752.JPG
Views:	81