Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition: dual point delco

hi all ..

im wondering , if most GM parts are interchangeable, is it possible to change early 60's single point delco to dual delco internals?

i am currently running a window 1960- 61 Delco in my 1963 259 lark due to the Prestolite failing ;,, and just having picked up a dual point

before anyone asks why would you bother, old speed equipment and tech around it is something that really interests me .. thanks
    Last edited by 23 cratae; 06-12-2021, 05:03 PM.

You would probably want the early Delco distributor, rather than the window type.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

If the dual point distributor you picked up came from a Chevrolet engine, it has a shaft rotation that is opposite from a Studebaker engine due to the chain drive camshaft. The dual point breaker plate will fit but the vacuum will not work as the pivot pin for the advance is on the opposite side of the breaker plate in the Studebaker distributor. Bud

Comment

The distributor from Olds or Pontiac rotates the counter clockwise as Studebaker they did have some with dual points not sure but plates could be used to get dual points in older Delco

Comment

The breaker plate from an Olds or Pontiac should work if that is what you have. Bud

Comment

great !! thanks for you replies guys.. will keep you posted as i see whats what .. really intrigued by the possibility cheers Al

Comment

Working...
            X