PCV orientation, OHV6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: PCV orientation, OHV6

I was doing some basic maintenance including cleaning the PCV valve on my OHV 6. I do recall buying this one from S-I, so it 'should' be correct, rather than just fitting.
    As installed, right or wrong, the valve is mounted at about 45 degrees from vertical, with the manifold side pointing south-east as viewed from the right side of the truck. As I cleaned it and blew through it, I found that with the manifold side pointing down, air flowed easily either direction. Manifold side up, the flow was restricted one direction up to a point, but free flowing from the other direction. As installed, it was a mixed bag of flow.
    Neither the shop manual, nor the parts book really address this, but I am thinking that maybe it should be installed with the manifold side up? This might also explain my low vacuum issues!
    Ron Dame
    '63 Champ

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2854.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	1898511 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2855.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	1898512

Comment

There is a small disc in the valve that gets often stuck by dirt. Try to move it gently with a screwdriver from both sides. It should move freely. When the system is OK, you should heard the disc closing accompanied by a little rpm drop when the engine gets back to idle. You can't put the original PCV valve improperly on the car as only one side is threaded. Maybe SI sold different ones.
      BTW, congrats to Bob for keeping the 32 RBS.
      Nice day to all.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rbisacca View Post
        Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2854.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	1898511 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2855.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	1898512
        OK, mine is oriented correctly then Thanks!
        Ron Dame
        '63 Champ

Comment

Originally posted by christophe View Post
          There is a small disc in the valve that gets often stuck by dirt. Try to move it gently with a screwdriver from both sides. It should move freely. When the system is OK, you should heard the disc closing accompanied by a little rpm drop when the engine gets back to idle. You can't put the original PCV valve improperly on the car as only one side is threaded. Maybe SI sold different ones.
          BTW, congrats to Bob for keeping the 32 RBS.
          Nice day to all.
          The disc does work, but it was time to be cleaned.
          Ron Dame
          '63 Champ

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Dame View Post

The disc does work, but it was time to be cleaned.
            I usually clean it with a shot of WD-40 once a year. Be sure that the little hole in the middle is free of dirt too. You can test the valve with the suction of your mouth. If you hear a distinct metallic noise when it closes, you're good to go.
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X