Lark VI pan gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lark VI pan gasket

I thought my front seal was what was leaking so badly, but apparently it is the pan gasket. It is squeezed out in a couple of places and the bolts are way tight. Is this something that can be accomplished successfully in the car?
    Any tips? (beyond what the manual will tell me)
    I have a hoist to keep the engine above the center pin, which looks like the major obstruction.

Reviving an early Lark
    sigpic
    JohnP, driving & reviving
    60 Lark & 58 Scotsman 4dr

Buy a new gasket set. Make sure to remove the aluminum block at front of engine when replacing the gasket. The tips of the gasket go UNDER the block. Don't try to out-think the design. Use a modern sealant. REPEAT: Don't cut off the gasket at the aluminum block, make sure it goes under it at the ends. WARNING!! The little filler block is aluminum and can strip out very easily. Good Luck!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Son O Lark

Buy a new gasket set. Make sure to remove the aluminum block at front of engine when replacing the gasket. The tips of the gasket go UNDER the block. Don't try to out-think the design. Use a modern sealant. REPEAT: Don't cut off the gasket at the aluminum block, make sure it goes under it at the ends. WARNING!! The little filler block is aluminum and can strip out very easily. Good Luck!
      This can be done while the engine is in the car.

Comment

You will find that it is way easier to remove one of the inner ends of a tie rod from the Bellcrank, remove the pinch bolt and swing the Bellcrank Assembly out of the way, than it is to disconnect all hoses, wires, cables, linkage from the Engine, Clutch and Transmission, drain cooling system plus remove the Engine Mounts to raise the engine! [:0]

And if you shortcut any of these engine removal procedures, you risk damaging something, like linkage.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

And while you have the filler block out, go ahead and put helicoils in it and never worry about stripping those fragile aluminum threads out again.

quote:Originally posted by Son O Lark

Ron Dame
          '63 Champ
          Ron Dame
          '63 Champ

Comment

Working...
          X