Tire / wheel possibilities for 51 Landcruiser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels / Tires: Tire / wheel possibilities for 51 Landcruiser

My 51 currently has 5-60/15 tubeless tires on the original wheels. Will 15x6.5 Ford wheels be too large for this car? If not, what size tires has anyone used with the wider wheel configuration? Thanks

Probably P215/75r15 would be the best radial match for overall looks as well as drivability.
    If you go Coker Tire there are many options available.

Comment

The Original Size was WAY larger than what you have, more like 6.70X15 or probably 710X15, of course Bias Ply were never Wide, just Tall.

A 5, 5 1/2 or 6 Wide Wheel would be a better fit, but it is also about the backspace.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

215-75-R15 is the same outer diameter as the 7.10-15 bias ply tires that originally came on your car. The radial tires are quite a bit wider than the original bias ply tires.

That's why I always recommend 75 tires rather than 70 tires. 70 tires are even wider than 75 tires.

Now there are radial tires that look like bias ply tires (tall and skinny). If they are not super expensive, that would be a good bet.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
        10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
        56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
        60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Rich and Roy are correct. The original tire size on the '51 Land Cruiser was 7.10-15.
          "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10,
          '51 Commander Starlight,
          '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
          '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

I put Turner disc brakes on my '52 and so had to change wheels. I used 6 x 15, 3.75 backspace wheel from Summit, and 710R15 American Classic Bias Look Radial Whitewall tires. I've been very happy with the combo, have about 4000 miles on them. Steering is very nice, I assume due to the narrow contact patch of the tire, and they ride great. Not cheap, but sometimes you get what you pay for.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	20171204_151004.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	1897309 Click image for larger version

Name:	20171204_150953.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	1897312 Click image for larger version

Name:	20180930_075100.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	1897310
            Attached Files
            3H-C5 "The Blue Goose"

Comment

The reason the tire width/cross section and backspace are primary factors for stock suspension is illustrated here: the section width of the tire and the relation of this width and the upper A arms. The picture shows the inner side wall of a G78/15 tire, on stock a rim, removed from the front of a 1952. Note the rub mark on the side wall between the tread and the bead. The second picture shows the offending point of contact on the A arm. G78/15 have a section width of 8". The rub shown on the G78/15 occurred only while turning, not in straight driving. Hope this helps.

Comment

The only things connecting your precious Studebaker and you to the road are the tires and wheels.

Keep it stock whenever possible in the interests of safety and appearance.

This appears to be discussed every week on this and other classic fora. Someday someone will wreck their ride and possible injure others. Your braking, steering, handling are all precisely effected by the contact with the road. More is not necessarily better!

Comment

Excellent example David (fatboylust), that shows clearly just One of the things that happen with wrong Backspace Wheels and or too Wide a Tire Size.

Although, that looks like a stock '52 Stude. 5 Inch Wheel, so the Tie Rod adjustment MAY be a little too far Left and not Centered.
                  OR, Could there be some Negative Camber Alignment caused by worn Inner Upper "A" Arm Bushings or Fast cornering involved?

In this case, we can't blame a set of P235/70R15 Radial Tires on 7 Inch Wheels for the problem.

A G78X15 was a 1970's Bias Ply replacement for a 710X15 usually Fiberglass or Polyglass Belted.
                  Rather Large, but not Huge.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Tire_Chart.jpg Views:	0 Size:	51.9 KB ID:	1897365
                  Last edited by StudeRich; 06-02-2021, 07:02 PM.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
                  X