Stude disc brake pad cyl tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Stude disc brake pad cyl tool

So its been over 35 years since I replaced the pads. I do not remember if I utilized the special tool to push back the pistons inside the wheel cylinders. Is this tool absolutely needed?.........or can a thick screwdriver be used to push the pistons back? Thanks in advance for the 'skinny';-)

A Large Channel Lock Pliers will work if you open the bleeder.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Or a C-Clamp.................
      Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
      Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

It is advisable to first open the bleeder screw, connect a hose and feed it into a bottle to collect fluid as the pistons are pushed back. This is especially important on late model cars to prevent pushing gunk into the master cylinder or the ABS.
        Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Does the hose have to be submerged in a bottle of brake fluid?

Comment

That would be the way to do a one-man brake bleed, but you are only pushing the pistons back at this time so no, no need to have the hose submerged.
            Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Do NOT push on bare pistons. You risk bending the pad retainer head. Do it before removing the old pads.
              Bez Auto Alchemy
              573-318-8948
              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                Do NOT push on bare pistons. You risk bending the pad retainer head. Do it before removing the old pads.
                Brad boy are U correct!...........many years ago I had to confront a situation...........the cylinders I purchased which were SS sleeved had two "mushroomed" pad attachment "tits"....it took me some time to figure out why I had dragging brakes up front....I managed to fix this so that the pad attaching plate would slide on the 'tit" as new.

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                  I guess that is why Kent-Moore had that special tool to re-set the bare pistons?

Comment

Working...
                  X