Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wiper Motor Repair

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Electrical: Wiper Motor Repair

    My car is a 53 Commander Coupe with 6 volt and positive ground electrics. My Redmond windshield wiper motor is very much in need of repair/rebuilding. It still works, but barely. Does anyone out there rebuild them or should I just start looking for a repacement? Any and all thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
    Studebaker! If you're lucky enough to own one, you're lucky enough!!!

  • #2
    We can rebuild your unit. Markham Motors, 6451 SE 180th Ave. Morriston, Fl. 32668.

    Bo

    Comment


    • #3
      These folks rebuilt the wiper motor for my '51 Commander.

      http://mykmlifestyle.com/
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

      Comment


      • #4
        Thank you so much for the 2 referrals. Not sure how I'm going to go with this, but informed referrals are always better than "shooting in the dark".
        Studebaker! If you're lucky enough to own one, you're lucky enough!!!

        Comment


        • #5
          Before going to a lot of trouble, pull off the cover plate and squirt a little oil on the worm drive and shaft to soften up that ancient grease a bit. That might fix you right up for all of ten minute's work.

          Comment


          • #6
            Hello Ross and thank you for that suggestion. I will give that a try and keep you all posted.
            Studebaker! If you're lucky enough to own one, you're lucky enough!!!

            Comment


            • #7
              I just spent the last 2 days working over the wiper system on my 54 Commander. Ordered new brushes from a Studebaker vendor, used the shop manual to pull the motor (also pulled the arms under the dash, cleaned and lubricated all pivots, then pulled the motor apart- had to unsolder one wire to get the end cap off, cut the original brushes out, soldered the new ones in, lined, then reversed the process. I bench tested the motor- both speeds worked perfectly, then reassembled everything. The issue Ifound was that one of the brushes was hung up in its keeper inside the motor casing. The final test was when I used the wiper switch, and nothing worked! Looked over and saw the key was in the off position! All was well once energized, and the motor was strong in both high and low speeds (Bosch 3-wire motor) Should be good for another 67 years or more!
              Morris Van Horne
              1954 Commander

              Comment


              • #8
                Thank you Morris. Perhaps all is not lost after all. One question though: I have a spare Bosch motor that works somewhat but the one already in the car is a Redmond. If I rebuild the Bosch motor as opposed to rebuiding the Redmond motor, can I still use the existing switch or do I need to change out the switch to accommodate the Bosch motor? Your thoughts are appreciated.
                Studebaker! If you're lucky enough to own one, you're lucky enough!!!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Morris Van Horne
                  1954 Commander

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I am not sure about Bosch vs Redmond- here is a pic of my wiring I took to make sure I reassembled it- not sure if it will help or not.
                    Morris Van Horne
                    1954 Commander

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Thank you again. Every little bit of information helps.
                      Studebaker! If you're lucky enough to own one, you're lucky enough!!!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I too, would suggest that you do a little cleanup on the unit, I had three wipers, one six volt, two 12 volt (which was what I was going to use) none of them worked (well maybe the six volt did but I didn't check) I ended up doing a partial disassembly, a clean up job & lube (and stupid me had cut a couple of tiny wires that had to be resoldered/connected) and by some stroke of good luck it worked. I suspect you are as good a fabricobbler as I

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I cleaned (Emory paper on the armature and inside) and lubed the Bosch unit. The original brushes were riveted in- cut them out, leaving about 1/4 inch of the original braided wire attached to the housing, then just soldered in the new brushes to that pigtail. To hold the brush/spring assembly back to allow assembly, I used some braided wire to cradle them back and over the outside of the end cap. The new brush wires were used to pry each back. Once the end cap was partially positioned with a small gap, it was easy to remove the cradling wire to let the brushes seat in.
                          Morris Van Horne
                          1954 Commander

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X