1953 heat and air

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: 1953 heat and air

I am building a 1953 Champion Hardtop and need a recommendation on a good heat ,air, and defrost unit. The drive train will not be stock. The interior will be upgraded with bucket seats and console. who makes a unit that can be mounted in the dash or console. If it has to go under the dash, I would like it to be as small a possible

check out Vintage air they have different sizes....just don't use their slider style controls

https://www.vintageair.com/
    Bill Foy
    1000 Islands, Ontario
    1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

For what it is worth, the link below references a similar application. I contacted them about what parts were used and was told to look at the catalog, maybe if you contact VA you will get a more helpful employee.
      https://journal.classiccars.com/2018...en-at-241-mph/

Comment

Originally posted by 1953champcoupe View Post
        I contacted them about what parts were used and was told to look at the catalog, maybe if you contact VA you will get a more helpful employee.
        Some time back I contacted Vintage Air about the same installation in my '53 Starlight and was told they did not have a kit for the C/K models, and that nothing under the skin of Jack's Bonneville car was Studebaker. So they told me the same thing. Take measurements, peruse the catalog and order appropriately.
        And yet they have a kit for the R models and C cab trucks. Go figure.

Any under dash evaporator is going to require removal of the original defroster anyway; so I would start with that. It's easy to remove and easy to put back if desired. All you will need is a block off plate to cover the empty spaces in the firewall.
        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10,
        '51 Commander Starlight,
        '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
        '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

When i installed A/C in wifes 57 Silver hawk i used VA's slinline under dash unit.ac,heat, defrost all in one unit. a sanden 508 comp. and adapter bracket on an aftermarket bracket that started at the thermostat housing worked out well. an aluminum crank pulley also came in handy. Hawk also has P/S. will try for pics when kids are handy. Luck Doofus

Comment

Working...
          X