Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

if i get a used steering ross box for my 60 lark, can someone comment on the pictures?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: if i get a used steering ross box for my 60 lark, can someone comment on the pictures?

i sourced a ross box , my box is turning sweet, just collecting a spare for future, i was wondering if i can take off some covers and take some pictures and if someone in the know can tell me what if anything is needed? or do you have to see, touch and mic?

and its for a stick shift, but i have an automatic, will the column shifter and turn signal, wires etc be a BIG problem?

Click image for larger version  Name:	rossbox1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	143.3 KB ID:	1896042 Click image for larger version  Name:	rossbox4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	184.8 KB ID:	1896043
    Attached Files
    Last edited by mw2013; 05-23-2021, 08:46 PM.

The parts that wear out are inside the box. You would be better off with a Saginaw recirculating-ball steering box, anyway.
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Originally posted by gordr View Post
      The parts that wear out are inside the box. You would be better off with a Saginaw recirculating-ball steering box, anyway.
      i would get it, and open up the box, and take pictures, my car drives beautifully , but my box's pitman arm has play, it's the bushing, so this one came up
      just revisiting a nagging situation, i would like to address for not a lot of money

Comment

Did you check the Parts Catalog to find out if a Ross "SL" was used in Larks? I believe it was only in C & K Models and Hawks.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          Did you check the Parts Catalog to find out if a Ross "SL" was used in Larks? I believe it was only in C & K Models and Hawks.
          i spoke to carl at redwood west studes, he said SL, it came out of a 60 wagon 60V with a stick shift , which is another concern of mine, i simply don't want to get into a hassle of the "wrong piece"

Comment

That is No problem, just switch the Column Jacket from the Std. one, to your Auto, and choose the best looking Turn Signal Switch with attached Wires, Done!
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Personally biased opinion here: get a 61 up Saganaw box out of a Lark. Hawks used Ross up to 1964. The ease of driving with the saginaw makes a world of difference.
              Again, just my opinion based of years of driving both types.

Bob Miles

Comment

For me, this 59 Lark (VI) Ross box is butter smooth and tracks perfectly on point.

Using the proper viscous oil-grease also makes it a leak-free experience.

Comment

Originally posted by NCDave51 View Post
                  For me, this 59 Lark (VI) Ross box is butter smooth and tracks perfectly on point.

Using the proper viscous oil-grease also makes it a leak-free experience.
                  mine too smooth and tracks perfect after i lubed the WHOLE front end and filled it with sta-lube assembly lube , after i ran out of 90wt gear old and grease mix

only the bushing has play, but front what it was in the beginning, it's a good driving car, new center pivot bearing, wheel bearings did the trick, handles better than a new corvette

Comment

Originally posted by gordr View Post
                    I usually pay close attention to what Gord says, and I'm not disagreeing at all, but I own cars with both Saginaw and Ross and equally satisfied by both types. It all depends on condition. At some point all the good Saginaw units will have been spoken for. I think that people will be sorry they scrapped out all those good Ross boxes.

Comment

I just had the Ross box in my '61 Champ truck rebuilt and the steering is now tight and smooth. I will say, however, it is not as easy to steer as the Saginaw.
                      Ed Sallia
                      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Working...
                      X