Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

does anyone sell or make a hood prop that is 5" longer for 60 lark?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: does anyone sell or make a hood prop that is 5" longer for 60 lark?

A local Stude fella said i could weld a 5" extension, but maybe there is one out there for not a lot of money?, lots more head room while under the hood.

btw, my second time washed and spray wax

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210523_131540.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	1896003 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210523_131523.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	1896004

Nope, there is only the one. You will have to find some metal rod and custom make your own, or have one made by one of the many local custom shops.

Bo
    Bo

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Markham View Post
      Nope, there is only the one. You will have to find some metal rod and custom make your own, or have one made by one of the many local custom shops.

Bo
      thanks, he said, thread the old and and a threaded rod, or weld

Comment

Yea, just buying a simple piece of steel rod, and make whatever you want..! Cheap, easy to do

I saved some weight on my car ! I went to McMaster Carr, bought a piece Titanium rod, bent it up for my 54 Conestoga..! Same as you want, it holds the hood up as far as it will easily go.

Mike

Comment

Be careful to not over lift the hood and bend it.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post
            Yea, just buying a simple piece of steel rod, and make whatever you want..! Cheap, easy to do

I saved some weight on my car ! I went to McMaster Carr, bought a piece Titanium rod, bent it up for my 54 Conestoga..! Same as you want, it holds the hood up as far as it will easily go.

Mike
            how do you bend titanium? even steel?

Comment

A torch will easily let you bend steel?

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                Be careful to not over lift the hood and bend it.
                you must live close to studebaker west in redwood?

Comment

Made my own from a piece of rod that I put a 90 in an then welded a washer to the other end. Has saved numerous scrapes to the head over the years.
                  Bob
                  Bob
                  Welland Ontario
                  60 Lark Convertible
                  64 Daytona
                  sigpic
                  "They were meant to be driven ... so keep on cruizin"

Comment

Originally posted by mw2013 View Post

you must live close to studebaker west in redwood?
                    Yup. This is so.
                    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

My 59 Lark and my (ex-) 62 Champ had the exact same hood, same grille panel and same hood rod.

The Champ one definitely went up higher. Why?

They moved the rod hole further away from the front of the hood, from the reinforcement “pipe” on the Lark to a hole further down the hood on the Champ.

Maybe leave the rod and instead install/weld a new hole further away from the leading edge - the effect will be to have the hood supported at a steeper angle.

Comment

Originally posted by NCDave51 View Post
                        My 59 Lark and my (ex-) 62 Champ had the exact same hood, same grille panel and same hood rod.

The Champ one definitely went up higher. Why?

They moved the rod hole further away from the front of the hood, from the reinforcement “pipe” on the Lark to a hole further down the hood on the Champ.

Maybe leave the rod and instead install/weld a new hole further away from the leading edge - the effect will be to have the hood supported at a steeper angle.
                        my hole is in on the the pipe, i will look at the, if my drill goes thru the hood i think i will cry

Comment

I just made an extension piece that I slip onto the end of the stock rod. It allows the hood to be lifted 9" higher than just the original rod did. This was one of the first things I did. I can barely get/fit under the hood stock ( the second thing was to extend the hood safety catch out beyond the grill, My fingers wouldn't fit under it to reach the catch when stock). This is on my GT, but it should work on a Lark too.Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0738.JPG Views:	0 Size:	112.9 KB ID:	1896048
                          NOW ................................................................................ .....................STOCK
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0739.JPG Views:	0 Size:	132.4 KB ID:	1896049 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0740.JPG Views:	0 Size:	141.0 KB ID:	1896050
                          Last edited by bensherb; 05-23-2021, 08:49 PM.

Comment

everybody thanks for the ideas

Comment

Originally posted by NCDave51 View Post

The Champ one definitely went up higher. Why.
                              'Cuz the Champ sits up higher than the Lark. Everything on the Champ is higher.

Comment

Working...
                              X