Difference between Champ Truck 6 cylinder brakes and rear axle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Difference between Champ Truck 6 cylinder brakes and rear axle

I know nothing about the brake systems on Trucks, especially Champ trucks. There is on Ebay a Champ truck:1962 Studebaker Champion | eBay. It was originally a 6 but now a V8 Four speed. Looks like in years past it was an amateur restoration. I asked the seller a question about if the brakes and rear axle were changed. He replied that his father passed a few years ago and did not know.

My question is this: was there differences between 6 cylinder trucks and V8's as far as brakes were concerned? What about the rear axle? I don't have any manuals for trucks, only cars.

Thanks

Bob Miles
    Haven't owned a truck but want to

Bob,

No difference in brakes between the two, nor rear axle, 4.27, 4.55, 4.09 used on both. Didn't use 3.73 in 6 cylinder trucks, for the obvious reasons. On most things truck, Studebaker did not differentiate between 6 cylinder and V8 as it did on it's passenger cars. Key word, "Most".

Depending on what differential ratio is in it, you might want to change it for something a little more highway friendly?

Bo
    Last edited by Bo Markham; 05-20-2021, 03:00 AM.

Comment

Agree with Bo. The brakes are the same.
      Ron Dame
      '63 Champ

Comment

Thanks, Bo and Ron.

Bob Miles

Comment

You better drive it. Trucks then were not like trucks today.

Comment

Originally posted by 70Avanti2 View Post
            Wow, that's true, but it's not like it's awful.Sure you need more Armstrong steering and brakes, and it, like it's contemporary trucks and cars, does not react to driver inputs as quickly, but aside from a harsh unloaded ride, these trucks, driven responsibly and nopt like a hot rod, drive just fine!
            Ron Dame
            '63 Champ

Comment

Originally posted by 70Avanti2 View Post
              Your absolutely right! They are better. Today, nothing but junk is built. Won't last 2 years before the computer components become obsolete and no longer available. The very last new truck I bought, transmission became obsolete before the warranty ran out. Couldn't even get a cooler line for it........ and that was in 1996!

Bo

Comment

There was a difference in the front springs - standard 7E5 cylinder had seven leave - HD six had 9 - same as standard V8

Comment

Brakes did change in later years, to what were considered 'car' brakes, and are superior to the older ones. I don't recall the year, maybe 1962? But the newer ones can be easily retrofitted to earlier Champs
                  Ron Dame
                  '63 Champ

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Dame View Post
                    Brakes did change in later years, to what were considered 'car' brakes, and are superior to the older ones. I don't recall the year, maybe 1962? But the newer ones can be easily retrofitted to earlier Champs
                    They changed with the firewall mounted master cylinder and hanging pedals - '63 - and they are a lot better than the '62 and earlier - same design as the cars had since 1954.

Comment

Working...
                    X