(Radio) Light is on...nobody home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: (Radio) Light is on...nobody home

'56 Power Hawk. AC 2747 Stratoline Radio started fading in and out for a few days then no more sound. No static or thump when switched ON or OFF. Changing from FRONT to FR-RR to REAR has no effect. All connections good and the illumination light is ON. Any suggestions short of removing and send for repair?
    CASO Bill G.

Did you check the radio fuse? IIRC, the illumination is a separate circuit from the radio power.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

<>IIRC, the illumination is a separate circuit from the radio power. <>

That's not accurate. Studebaker radios have the light and the radio on the same circuit. Just the facts please.

The most likely suspect in this scenario is the tube called OZ4. It's on the power/speaker chassis, so it's easy to reach. It's the slender metal tube (usually black, but sometimes silver) with an 8 pin octal socket. The OZ4 is a gas filled rectifier and has a shorter service life than other components in the radio.

Replacement OZ4 tubes are available on eBay, or wherever radio tubes are sold.

The second most likely suspect is the vibrator. If you can hear it buzz/hum when you turn the radio on, it might still be OK.
      Last edited by RadioRoy; 05-15-2021, 08:17 AM.
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Sorry, Roy. That is why I included "IIRC". Obviously, I remembered incorrectly on this radio. I defer to your expertise.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

You won't get a thump in the speakers when switching a tube radio on. That is a characteristic of solid-state radios only. If the radio has not been overhauled, the buffer capacitor may have shorted, and taken out the vibrator or power transformer.
          Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

No worries, Gary.

Lots of FoMoCo, including the 65 Mustang currently on the bench, have separate circuits for the radio and the light. I don't understand why they do that. The only way you can tell is if the light comes on in the daytime when you cannot see it anyway. I hook the two switches together to make 50 and 70 year old switches more robust and give them longer life. The FM conversions have a circuit that reduces power through the switch from 5-10 amps down to 300 milliamps.
            Last edited by RadioRoy; 05-15-2021, 10:52 AM.
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

Comment

Thank You "Radio Roy"! It was the 0Z4. I looked under the instrument panel and there it was. Hanging on the back of the radio I could see the open side and the 0Z4 was the tube closest to the edge of the circuit board. I replaced it with a solid state unit from Eb auction site for less than $10. Best of all, I didn't have to remove the radio.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Graepel View Post
                Thank You "Radio Roy"! It was the 0Z4. I looked under the instrument panel and there it was. Hanging on the back of the radio I could see the open side and the 0Z4 was the tube closest to the edge of the circuit board. I replaced it with a solid state unit from Eb auction site for less than $10. Best of all, I didn't have to remove the radio.
                Glad it worked out and thanks for reporting the fix. That adds to the collective knowledge base.

Comment

You should have no fear about removing the radio. Back in my younger days it seems me and my buddies were all driving ‘56 or ‘57 Hawks. You could remove one of those radios in about 3 minutes easy! This was back in the days when stores had radio tube self testing equipment. Tested many Studebaker radio tubes!

Comment

Working...
                  X