383 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 383 swap

So, i’m Thinking about putting a 400 hp. 383 with a Tremec 5 speed in my 65 Daytona with power nothing. I’ve done a search with no luck.

I was hoping someone here has done this as I have a few questions.

what headers will fit?
    will a Tremec fit without tunnel modifications? Other than trans mount.
    what size exhaust pipe?

thanks for the help.
    Dave

I have a 59 lark with a 400 sbc and a Muncie 4 spd. The muncie is pretty tight to the top of the tunnel and I seriously think you will have to modify the tunnel for the Tremec, I have two other cars with TKO 600s in them. As far as headers the drivers side is a bear due to the steering linkage. I believe some guys have used tight block hugger style headers with success . I used fenderwell headers on mine. Dick Stiencamp had a good post on here about his sbc swap. You can see mine under Lumpys lark build. Hope this helped.

Comment

Take a look at the new Tremec TKX. it is supposed to be smaller and shift better than the TKO. Rams horn manifolds are available in 2 1/2"and are plenty good for all but 7000 rpm runs. They fit like stock, because essentially they are, but larger. Plus, you don't have the added engine compartment heat. (and noise) I don't mind loud, but it has to be out back, and not inside the car.
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

When I first saw 383, I thought - Chrysler product engine (I have owned many). I guess that you mean a SBC that GM never offered.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
          When I first saw 383, I thought - Chrysler product engine (I have owned many). I guess that you mean a SBC that GM never offered.
          "So", no, this isn't obvious for either engine, at least to me..!
          383 Chrysler, OR 383 Chevrolet ?

Many, MANY Chevrolets have been installed into the Stude chassis. It takes a little more effort to install a Chrysler engine.

Mike

Comment

GM never offered it in a car, but they offer it now as a crate engine. 3.80" stoke (versus 3.48" stock stroke) in a 350 block.

https://www.chevrolet.com/performanc...s/sp383-deluxe
            Skip Lackie

Comment

“It takes a little more effort to install a Chrysler engine.”

Speaking of which, anyone know/remember what ever happened with that young man (teenager?) who put a big block MOPAR into a Lowey a few years ago?

Comment

Why stop there?

BLUEPRINT ENGINES PS4541CTC - SMALL BLOCK CHEVY 454CI PRO-SERIES STROKER DRESSED LONG BLOCK CRATE ENGINE W/ CARBURETOR, ALUMINUM HEADS, & ROLLER CAM

SDPC - YOUR COMPLETE PERFORMANCE CRATE ENGINE WAREHOUSE

<copy>
                SKU: PS4541CTC
                BluePrint Engines builds high-performance crate engine to replace your tired old factory engine! These crate engines are high-performance drop-in engines offering substantially more horsepower than the factory original. Crate engines or crate motors from BluePrint Engines offer a custom builder, hot rodder, or kit car builder an engine that is ready to drop in the vehicle.
                HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I have just been reading about the Nissan CD009 gear boxes that can easily handle 800rwhp, are inexpensive and there are adapters for both 1 piece and 2 piece rear main seal sbc engines. Not too sure on the physical size compared to the Tremec, but I like the sound of an inexpensive and strong 6spd. May be an option to consider. Cheers, Junior
                  sigpic
                  1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

I am reminded by a statement many years ago in a hot rod/modified magazine where the young enthusiast wanted to put a 392 Hemi in a Model T Chassis. The writer answering the question stated something to the effect that it was akin to putting 10 pounds of lead in a 1 pound rated bag.

The engineering of the 65 models was a compromise that Studebaker was forced to do because the decision was made to stop using the 1964 engines and use Canadian supplied McKinnon engines.

I guess to bring up the question: why? In traffic in the city the maximum speed is probably 45 mph and highways 70 mph. Bragging rights to say you did something is one thing, but that can be costly. Just because something can be done does not of necessity mean it should be done. Why not sell the 65, get a Chevy II and do all this modification. Sell the Daytona to someone in the Studebaker group that would want it for what it is, one of the last two years of Studebaker production.

OK, do what you want, it is your car.

Bob Miles
                    Wet Blanket Incorporated

Comment

563 HP Jeff!
                      Nice.
                      A few years ago I road tested and was contemplating a 383 powered '65 2 door in Las Vegas. It was a real nice ride. I wonder where it ended up.
                      Bill

Comment

A much smarter move is to get a '64 Daytona Hardtop with an 11 Ga. Frame instead of the '65 Sports Sedan with a 13 Ga. Frame, to put your "Hot Rod" Chevy into.
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Years ago I put a MOPAR 383 in a 63 Champ pick up. It looked smaller than the 289 and it did not pull RV's as good as the 289.

Comment

Originally posted by 6hk71400 View Post
                            I am reminded by a statement many years ago in a hot rod/modified magazine where the young enthusiast wanted to put a 392 Hemi in a Model T Chassis. The writer answering the question stated something to the effect that it was akin to putting 10 pounds of lead in a 1 pound rated bag.

The engineering of the 65 models was a compromise that Studebaker was forced to do because the decision was made to stop using the 1964 engines and use Canadian supplied McKinnon engines.

I guess to bring up the question: why? In traffic in the city the maximum speed is probably 45 mph and highways 70 mph. Bragging rights to say you did something is one thing, but that can be costly. Just because something can be done does not of necessity mean it should be done. Why not sell the 65, get a Chevy II and do all this modification. Sell the Daytona to someone in the Studebaker group that would want it for what it is, one of the last two years of Studebaker production.

OK, do what you want, it is your car.

Bob Miles
                            Wet Blanket Incorporated
                            I'm doing it because I like working on cars and its a hobby. I don’t really care about originality. The car has the original 283 and column shift B&W in it and it doesn’t have the power I’m looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                              383 GM crate motor.

Comment

Working...
                              X